Slide grease wears down very fast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 14, 2011.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hi Guys-
    I am growing curious about my slide grease troubles. It appears to me that I need to apply slide grease almost daily because it seems to come in contact with my spit in the horn and then waters down. I've tried a few different including Hetman. Right now I am on Selmer which seems to be the thickest but should I have to re-apply it after a day? I am playing on a 10 month old Strad.

Thanks,

2. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    Yeah - I had same problem and started using anhydrous lanolin. You can get it at any drug store - it's non-prescription and $4 should buy you enough for 10 years. Will not wash away. It's a good cheap alternative. If you know any nursing mothers they might be able to
    give you a lead. ( It gets used for nursing sores and cracks in real life)

3. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    ^ That is quite interesting! I'll have to give that a try......Is this a problem with the horn or is it just something that happens on some horns? I wouldn't have thought of a brand new horn doing this...

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You're not saying where this grease is applied. Is it your tuning slide or third slide or what?

Tom

5. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    I'm talking primarily about my third valve slide.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    3rd valve slide "should" be covered in valve oil, not grease. 3rd slide should move as fast as your valves (that's why they have stops, so it doesn't come off during use). If you have a trigger/saddle on 1st valve slide, that should be oil also. 2nd valve and main tuning slide are the only slides I put grease on because they don't have to move fast. Whatever you use on your valves will suffice.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah, yes. I use Hetman medium slide oil on my third slides.

Tom

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lanolin with a bit of oil works great on 1st and 3rd slides. I like a teeny bit of friction, rather than a slide which moves too easily, and the combo works fine.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    USE VASELINE, USE VASOLINE, USE VASOLINE ---- skip the fancy names -- use what works. Hey where are all my Aussie friends to come to substantiate and verify this advice of mine? don't worry they will be here and they will UNANIMOUSLY confirm to you to use vaseline on the slides ----(and they will hate to agree, but they know they use -- VASELINE --- Kingtrumpet rules, ROFL ROFL

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Be careful, Kingtrumpet thinks he's helping by referencing we Aussies. Vaseline doesn't mix well with synthetic oils regardless of how is is spelt. Anhydrous lanolin is really good stuff and the Kiwis have discovered that it stops sheep from rusting. Matching Ultra Pure Slide Grease and Ultra Pure Valve oil avoids any incompatibility and they are available as a kit from Ultra Pure - endorsement from a satisfied customer with no financial link to Ultra Pure.