Slide grease wears down very fast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Just curious... what exactly are you guys doing/playing that you use the 3rd valve slide *so much* you need to re-oil/grease it every day?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I use Ultra Pure Oil on 1st and 3rd too.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Heyman's "Light" slide oil works fine for me. I have tried valve oil but don't feel it provides the same protection as the Hetmen's. I can feel the metal rubbing.
    I use the Hetman;s "Thick" slide oil for my second valve slide/water dump.
    As far as vasoline.... oh boy ... I believe I have read that it is the cuperate for stuck slides if the horn sits for a period of time.
    Bag Balm? ... hmmm .. perhaps the tuning slide but I like the Selmer slide grease for that one ....

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use Hetmans slide oil and it lasts at least for a week when I am playing a specific horn a lot.

I do not think that spit is your issue. Slide grease normally only thins out quickly with valve oil.

I do not use valve oil on my slides. To protect metal, we need a stable coat of lubricant. Valves and casings are made of relatively thick metal and are dimensionally stable. That is why we can use thin valve oil with a lower viscosity. The oil film will not "tear" and expose metal. The much thinner tubing on the slides does not have that dimensional stability. The thinner tubing changes diameter more if the horn is warm or cold. Therefore, there are greater tolerances and we need an oil with higher viscosity to keep an intact film of lubricant on the slides.

My experience with Bach slides is that they are relatvely "loose" even when new. If you do not lubricate, moisture will seep through. A higher viscosity oil (than valve oil) is required to make the slide "airtight" as well as protect the inner and outer tubing.

A possible problem could be an incompatibility between the valve oil and slide grease.

I do not use vaseline or machinists silicone or lithium grease, it wanders through the horn and mucks the valves up. I second the vote for anhydrous lanolin.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    c'mon dude -- you mean you don't do chromatic scales everyday, and play in the key of Cb??? low C#, low F#, low G -- there are multiple uses for the 3rd slide in the lower part of the horn --- actually I like playing the F, and the 3rd slide goes all the way out. ((uh that is 1-2-3 valves pushed the 3rd slide all the way out --and below the low F# is a wonderful F) ---- and why don't you people play those notes everyday????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They aren't "sexy" enough!;-);-)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    OK, am I remembering right, that in one of the songs in The Music Man, it changes between seven flats and seven sharps? I don't remember exactly which way, it's been over 25 years....

Tom

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ted, we will soon see. I just purchased my first batch of Ultra Pure oil and slied grease. Always wanted to try it, but could not find a store to sell it in Dayton, so I ordered it on line.

AND thanks for not going down Kingtrumpet's slippery slope!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    then you had better put in more SLOW air, and more vibrato, and more clarity, and more loudness, and MAKE every note sexy -- c'mon man you can do it. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for keeping those slides clean, clean ,clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that is why I opt for Vaseline, cause my slides gleam, with Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They keep sliding so easily, because to my slides I apply Vaseline liberally. They will never stop sliding you see, because Vaseline is for my valve slides you see???????????????? ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Vaseline is used on my trumpet slides for nearly 35 years, and NOT ONE has ever failed to slide --- ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL