Slide grease wears down very fast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Nov 14, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Vaseline works well if you play the horn fairly regularly. However, if the horn sits for a long period and the vaseline dries out, it begins acting like a super glue. Had my Olds Studio in the shop for 3-4 days trying to get the slides out after being stored for years.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Everyone should play everyday!!!!!!!!!!! Vaseline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ROFL ROFL

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In the U.S, it is NOT available at Safeway, CVS, Rexall, Drugco, WalMart etc, pharmacies. My last cost $7.95 + sales tax for 4 fluid oz, however whatever it costs, such is the way to go IMO, Try natural foods stores for source, that is where I finally got mine. Hand rub well into clean brass and you shouldn't have a problem ... it's great for hands also. Disclaimer: If you are allegic to wool, do not use and seek other alternative.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You guys got me interested in this. Usually I use vaseline or Selmer slide cream. Decided to try some stuff my wife has used for years on her lips for chapping -Burt's Bees Salve. Seems to work really well -better than vaseline or the slide cream. Yes, everone shoudl play everyday, but if you have a number of horns, it isn't wise to store them with vaseline.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You will note that an active ingredient of Burt's Bee salve is lanolin. IMO if our instruments are to be stored for more than three months, they should be completely disassembled and CLEAN. I'll let others reiterate the electrolysis advantage of lanolin application to brass.