Slide severely stuck...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Chrishawk4, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    That's pretty silly. Many stuck slides will come free using the techniques that people have listed here. If one is careful, there's no reason they will screw up their horn. Why pay somebody if the slide can be loosened up at home?

There are a lot of simple tasks that can be done by a horn's owner and don't ne cessarily require the intervention of the tech. It's good for people to get used to doing some of the maintenance on their horns....

bigtiny

2. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Agreed ! Most of my stuck slides are from recently purchased horns.
    (I never can pass up a good deal) Doing a little work to free a slide is
    just good common sense. I quite often can free up a slide in less time than it takes for me to get the horn to the tech. I still use tech's for
    anything over my head, but slides are rarely one of those things.

3. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    True--but only if people doing their own maintenance know what they're doing.

The number of mouthpieces and bottom- or top-caps you'll find with pliar marks on them suggests that even with the best of intentions it's quite possible for a do-it-yourselfer to do far more harm than good. My tech charges $15 to pull, clean, and lubricate a slide. I weigh that cost against the value of the horn and the value of my time in applying solvent, rigging up the pulling system, and cleaning the horn afterwards. If the slide pops on the first try, I celebrate my good fortune and the fact I've saved $15. But if it doesn't, I consider the $15 to have it done professionally money very well spent.

4. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Be sure to grease your slides (your supposed to at least once a month or something like that) but at LEAST twice a year if you don't want that to happen again.

5. trump2

trump2 New Friend

Feb 21, 2009
    Seems to me the tecs should be grateful for lazy people like me who give them work...or they'd be out of job......

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Don't be cheap and/or stupid. Take it to the shop and get it pulled correctly.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Yeah, the techs won't chuckle about you until you leave.

OLDLOU>>

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Uri Gellar is a good bet. He can manipulate metal by the power of positive thinking only. However, i think it is important not to become embroiled by the negativity on a this thread. Noel Edmonds would not be impressed. Have a go at repairing it as long as you are careful. If you are someone that is heavy handed, impractical or "clumsy" (like me), leave it to the pros.

Keep it positive. Keep it only within its' best before date, but above all, keep it real!!!! Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! Grrrrrrrr!

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As stated above, take it to a tech and pay the $15 to have it removed. When you get it back take brass polish and bring it to a shining luster. Apply vaseline and maintain it.

Trying to pull it out yourself could lead to problem and damage to the horn.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    old lou - I spent almost 2 years working with a top brass tech [I was doing minor things, slides, mouth piece, caps, minor dent removal and maintenance]. Marching band and lazy people kept the shop going. Thank you parents who buy junior new horns and not teaching or expecting junior to take care of his horn [or anything else you buy him].