sliding slide, red rot, and making a leather grip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Jan 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I have a Reynold's cornet. I play sometimes, but my son's in beginning band and these days he plays more often than me. The 3rd slide has this annoying problem of sliding out if gravity allows, which it does. (He is not yet in marching band.) After awhile of playing, every time he plays a note with the 3rd valve, it's really flat.

I have taken the horn to a repairman. (The same, who "fixed" my horn valves by oiling the entire instrument on the outside.)

I have wiped off all grease from the slide, but it still slides. There is shiny metal and dull metal on the slide. It only slides for the length of the shiny part and stops. There is no ring for the finger to use to hold the slide in. There isn't a screw thingy do to add a ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there anything to do to the slide to prevent it from sliding? I was considering duct taping it in, but then the boy won't learn to adjust slides as he plays.

There are some spots of red rot on the horn. It's old. Is there anything I can do to get it off and to stop the spread?

Pieces of lacquer are falling off. I was thinking I'd like to put a leather gripper on it to keep my son's hands off the raw brass and to hopefully stop more pieces from falling off where the hands go. Is there an economically priced gripper? anyone tried making one?

Thanks for the help!

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Regarding the third slide, I would just have a reputable tech add an adjustable finger ring to it (would double as a lyre holder if needed).

As for the valve wrap (leather or otherwise), I'm not a fan - too easy for debris of the wrap itself to rub/scar the instrument.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you can get it, Hetmans makes a heavy slide grease. I think its formula #7. It used to be #9 but thats discontinued. I have some #9 and it is very, very thick. As far as Red Rot goes just keep the horn as clean as possible. Wipe the horn down to keep more lacquer from peeling off.

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    double post

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    It looks like the design of the third slide was such that it was never intended to be adjustable. If a finger ring mount was added to the slide, the ring/rod would have to be so long that it would have almost no mechanical advantage. A trigger with a long connecting rod would probably work, but may not be worth the expense. A tech could expand the inner slides so that it would create enough friction to keep it from falling out, or you might try a thick grease, like tobylou8 suggested.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Anhydrous Lanolin is dirt cheap and will keep the slide in for you. You can get it at a pharmacy.

7. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    The lanolin for nursing mothers? I have some old stuff laying around somewhere.

8. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Ultrapure heavy slide grease Ultra-Pure Heavy Tuning Slide Lube 9ml | Musician's Friend I've got a secondary slide instead of a waterkey on my Benge. The valve oil I use on the kick slide eventually makes its way into the secondary slide and it will come out after several in and outs on the main slide. an occasional dab of this stuff and the problem is solved..........

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use this first to fix sliding slides. If this does not fix it, then I am off to the Tech, he can slightly expand the tubes, or bend them at off set - in any case the Ultrapure Heavy slide lube is my first call. It is STICKY so harder to move.

I would not worry too much about tuning on the 3rd slide, teach your son to lip it into tune. It will help him for his future playing, and help develop his ear.

10. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Chistineka,

I agree with trying a really heavy lube first, but if the comes out at all a tech will need to expand the tubing. Again for the red rot, just keep the horn as clean as possible. Finally regarding the valve casing hand grip, aka saddle, g
    They are easy to make. Find out where the local hunters take their hides to be tanned/worked. You can buy small pieces of finished material for just a couple of dollars. Get some Velcro from the hardware store and make a paper pattern. Hint the top should close left over right and the bottom right over left. You'll see why when you pick up the horn. The laquer on many of the older horns really wasn't very good, so if the hoen is going to be use , it going to go.

Rick