Slight Back Pressure in Nose Issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Domination3785, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Domination3785

Domination3785 Pianissimo User

Apr 12, 2014
    Last summer I developed an issue in which I had some pressure that backed up in the back of my nose. It lasted for about 4 months, then went away. I don't remember exactly how I solved it though.
    After just practicing for about a half an hour, I discovered that that issue may be back. It only happened when I played higher notes. Also, I was on vacation for a week and ultimately had to take a week long break from playing. Does anyone have any familiarities with this issue? If so, how can I solve it within a month? It took so long the first time around because my lesson teacher and I had never heard of the issue. Thanks for the help!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Teach yourself to do create your back pressure on command. Then you can figure out what makes it happen and stop doing it.

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I may have had a similar issue. The solution for me was not working so hard and so long on my upper register. Can you practice longer if you simply stay in the low and middle register? Range may happen if you simply let it develop without forcing it.

We often face deadlines, real and self-imposed, in life. Why must you solve this problem within a month? It may be better to invest the time truly needed to solve the problem for good, without causing some new one for yourself. Are you studying privately? If you are, what has your teacher said?

Jim