Slight cut/abrasions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by omgruanoob, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Pictures are set to private, just so you know (just tried viewing them)

2. omgruanoob

omgruanoob New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    Fixed it :/

3. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Personally, I noticed you are quite off center, playing very much in the red. Just an observation, not for me to say how you play without hearing you. Hard to tell your playing habits other than that from pictures and not a video. Again, a teacher would best be able to assist you, you're going to have to ask them to be sure.

If the abrasions are on the inside as you said, though, I myself would think it's due to mouthpiece pressure. However, as Rowuk mentioned, it could still be due to abrasive teeth. Perhaps some of the more experienced members or members that work in medicine could provide a more informative response

4. omgruanoob

omgruanoob New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    Yeah, i play to the right and could you clarify by inside? Inside would be the part of the lips not shown i assume?
    and are my lips considered "big' and "fleshy"?

5. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I thought of "inside" meaning the part of the lip directly by the front of the teeth (so yes, the part not shown). I thought they looked decently sized, as well.

6. omgruanoob

omgruanoob New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    I'm currently using a E3/3C from Marcinkiewicz. Is this a decent sized mouthpiece?
    Is it a reasonable size for my lips?

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have similarly sized lips, and also use a 3c (Bach though, so it could be slightly larger or smaller). It seems large enough for me, I would think it's large enough for you as well.

8. omgruanoob

omgruanoob New Friend

Nov 22, 2011
    So i may start lessons in a couple of weeks or so and i want to know if i will have a proper teacher. Do most trumpet private teachers usually know what they're saying? I'm going to maybe get it from this guy named randy polk
    this is i guess his little bio on the website of the music store

"Randy has a Bachelor of Music Arts in trumpet performance and music technology from the University of Oklahoma where he studdied under Dr. Karl Sievers. Randy went on to earn a Masters of Music in trumpet performance from Azusa Pacific University where he studied under Robert Slack, Rob Roy MacGregor and Charley Davis. He now teaches at Citrus College as adjunet faculty in the Pop / Rock program. Randy plays in the No Vacancy Orchestra and the pop rock band NStuff. He's also played for Roccio y su Sonera Show, Debbie Boone, Lerna Loft, Dale Kristien and Oklahoma City Philharmonic. "

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You may have a possible allergy to some metals. Also dehydration as pointed out by rowuk. This is not normal at all. There are a few viral diseases that cause ulcerations of the tongue. I'd recommend seeing the primary care doctor when your tongue is inflamed, or a referral to a dermatologist in case a viral culture is needed, or an allergist in case of allergy. Some people are alleric to gold and nickel. I'm not sure about silve, but I would assume so.

10. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    In the end it's mostly going to come down to you putting in the thousands of hours of thoughtful, careful, attentive practice. I'd say that most anybody with a bit of experience should be able to, at the very least, get you started on the right foot and guide you in the right direction.

All you can do is trust your teacher, do your best to apply what he says and practice thoughtfully. If/when you find yourself hitting a wall somewhere along the way, you re-evaluate. Some people pick it up right away, some make a couple wrong turns along the way and need to be set back on the right track, and some get REEEAAALLY lost and need serious help from somebody who specializes in chops.