Slight springy sound in 2nd valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 14, 2011.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I got a new Yamaha Wayne Bergeron custom model on Saturday. Its amazing and I love it, but when I oiled on the day I got it with Al Cass Fast oil, the 2nd valve started making a slight springy sound when I press it. It still does not go away. The valve is still smooth and nice, but I was wondering if this something I should be concerned about. The same thing happend once to a flugelhorn I rented at school, but that one had rusty valves...

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Is the valve in the right groove and is the valve stem screwed in all the way?

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Yes

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Did you lube the spring? It is probably just rubbing on the inside where the spring is housed. Try switching the spring to another valve and see if the problem moves.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    No.
    I can't unscrew the part where the spring is in.
    It makes the sound when I finish pressing the valve all the way, not when it is moving.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Why cant you unscrew it? Probably the valve guides. I will think overnight and give a report in the morning...

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes you can. Otherwise you could not replace the spring. It likely unscrews near the top of the spring chamber, as other Yamaha tend to.
    I have had the same issue in the past. Usually it is the result of something loose or slightly off. Sometimes it is the springs are bent/slightly tilted.
    Have your teacher look at it

8. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    It's tight and I'm also kinda scared because I've never done this before.

But is this something that is a risk to the trumpet or just an annoyance?

This started happening only after I oiled it...

Thank you very much for helping me.

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    And to answer the above, it is just an annoyance in my experience. If you are not comfortable, have your teacher do it for you.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Your valve guide is in upside down. Make sure the valve guide is in the spring box so the circular indent in the middle is facing up. This is the part where the spring sits. If it is upside down the spring moves when you press the valve and rubs against the spring box.

Either that or your spring is bent, but I doubt that because you said the horn is new.