Slight springy sound in 2nd valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    To the OP: I had exactly the same problem with my Radial before sending it to Anderson Plating for overhaul. Tried everything with the valve like you did, problem was still there intermittently. Told Anderson about it, they could not replicate the problem. Upon receiving the horn back from them, problem was still there, driving me nuts. I found out accidentally that it was actually the slide rattling, not any part of the valve assembly.

I'm not sure what has been said throughout this entire thread, but it might actually be your 2nd valve slide that's a little loose and produces the noise. To find out, push against the slide with your palm while playing a note with the 2nd valve pressed. If it makes the springy sound go away, that's it. Then, try taking the slide out, apply a generous coating of thick grease (I like the Courtois for tuning slides or slides that don't move), put the slide back in place and push it firmly in to make sure it's in all the way, and see what happens. It's worth a try at this point.

2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    What do they use on Xeno?

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Well, step 1 is exactly why I posted this thread. To see if anyone in TM knew how to fix it. Isn't this what forums are for?

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Same springs as every other Yamaha trumpet. Found that using google, you should try it sometime.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    The problem isn't when I'm playing. But, its not the slide. The problem is still present when I take out the slide.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Have you switched the springs yet?

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Then just play it and NO PROBLEM!

8. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I took out the spring and put it back in. The problem is a lot better but the problem is slightly still there. BUT somehow the problem started in the 1st valve now... WTF!?

9. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Ignore it, get over it, move on and play. You'll be much less aggravated with the results.

10. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I flipped all the springs, and I think it's all good now.