Slippery Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patrick9654, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Ok this may sound strange but sometimes (especially if it is very warm and humid) my lips tend to be too wet and almost want to slide off the mouthpiece. This can be quite annoying when playing outdoors in the summer. Is there are way to correct this? Of course in between songs i can just wipe them but that is not always possible during a song.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Carry a lint free towel on stage.

Any time you have two or three beats of not playing you have time to wipe your lips or mouthpiece.

Ask me...I know.

3. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a try.

4. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    I would think it would be a better idea to wipe the mouthpiece and just keep the lips wet. That way your mouthpiece is dry enough to stick to your lips and your lips are wet enough to increase vibration....Whatever floats your boat.:play:

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I have always had the same problem. I sweat buckets in the summertime...everyone has their own quirks. You will never catch me without my little terry towel..it is a great security blanket. Loosing your grip is anoying and I honestly cant think of anything that will work as well as just a quick wipe whenever you can. If you learn something new let me know so I can use it too. Best wishes.