Slotting differences between trumpet and flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, May 14, 2011.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I've been playing trumpet for 25 years and I botch notes here and there. When I pick up my flugel that I've only been playing about 4 years, it's automatic. The slotting is literally effortless. Is this typical for you guys that play both, or is my flugel just THAT perfectly matched to my chops?

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    The same goes for me....but I think that's because I'm just much better suited for flugel...

Kujo

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Perhaps the mouthpiece gap on your trumpet is too big. Or since you play a different mouthpiece on your flug you may have gotten a better match of horn, piece, and chops.

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Maybe. They are both Wedge.....B3CC for trumpet and 3FLX for flug.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm with Kujo, so same for me. I even wrote on other blogs that I even have an easier time in the high "lead" range... up to a point... then the trumpet takes the lead.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The question that comes up for me, is your pitch stability as obvious where the audience is sitting?

Slots are a big combination of things - they are frequencies where the horn resonates, coupled with how that resonance controls the lips and how well we hear ourselves playing.

Experiment: take your "best slotting" horn and play a couple of lipslurs. Now go outdoors to some big open place and play the same lipslurs - stuffier - worse slotting. The horn and "resonance" hasn't changed, what you hear has.

Flugelhorns do not have the sharp resonance of a trumpet. The bell shape and short leadpipe prevent that. That means, if you have the impression that the flugel slots better - it is solely based on what you hear.

All of my trumpets "slot" better than my flugels.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Very interesting! The vibration and sound feels and "hears" so different on the other side of the horn. The wonderful world of physics always amazes me.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I missed something important. The flugel with its "inferior" horn design actually does not slot as sharply. That makes it easier for players with "weaker" chops to move between notes. That gives the impression of being easier to play. It also shows that the word "slot" is not very good to describe what is going on. It is actually as misused as the expressure Double G.............

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and my Flugel only slots nice to the A above the staff -- but I guess that is the top of the range that it is designed for ((OK it can go higher, but the sound just isn't as beautiful at anything higher))
    BUT then if I wanted to go higher -- I would switch to a trumpet (a King trumpet, that is)

10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    You're losing me here....It does not slot easier; I'm only getting the impression that it is? Maybe I'm misusing the word. :dontknow: Let's say I'm playing Bach's "Air". When I make perfect transitions from note to note, like going from key to key on a piano, I would say that is good slotting. If I were to ever so faintly crack a little, say from C to F, I would say the slotting was not so great (Not necessarily the horns fault, I know). So, what do you call that?