Slotting differences between trumpet and flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, May 14, 2011.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    It's an A above the staff for me as well, above that, it just doesn't sound right. :thumbdown:

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rowuk, here is my solo on my band's home page on the 4-valve Getzen Eterna. This tune plays much easier on my flugel than on my trumpet. I thing the solo slots well. Let me know if you think the chop work is weak.

www.eddiebrookshiremusic.com

Seriously, your feedback on this solo will help me try to understand the concept you are making, as at this point, I am not understanding how the flugel is inferior to the trumpet a slotting for certain ranges and song types.

Thanks again for the time to listen and give me the feedback to help me understand.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My flugel sounds well up to the F above this A. So I am not so sure the A is the limit for the flugel.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You probably relax when you play the flugel more so than when playing the trumpet. I noticed that when I switched so I try to relax more when playing the trumpet.

5. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    On mine, anything above the A just doesn't resonate as well.....At least to my ears (and the kitchen appliances:lol:).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My point is a different one. A "slot" is when your instrument really "locks" into a note. Being able to nail it with hopeless abandon and its "crackability" minimal and intonation very solid. Trumpets actually do this very well. The length of the instrument, the bore size and bell taper make the standing wave very pronounced in its control of the lips.

A flugel on the other hand has a bell that is way too open and a leadpipe that is extremely short. The tones do not "lock in" in the manner a trumpet does. That is because the reduced stability of the standing wave. We have greater freedom to "bend" notes. Due to the fact that the flugel tone is not as directional as the trumpet, we actually hear ourselves better. That instills confidence and the impression is that the horn is better under control. Moving between notes on these conical bore instruments is easier because the "slot" is not as pronounced.

If I were to compare slotting to something else, it would be a piano for instance. Each individual tone locks in and when playing a lick, the move from one note to the next is very sharp in relation to intonation and resonance. That is the feeling from a fine trumpet. The individual notes seem to "pop" out. There is little "roundness" to the transition.

AS far as "hearing" slotting in a recording, that is a tough call. A good musician has "control" of the axe and their chops. The product is musically sound. Your recording is a good example of this. I would imagine that the same licks with a trumpet would have even more definition however. That is partly due to the additional overtones, and partly the more stable standing wave in the instrument.

Don't get me wrong, there is no definition lacking in what comes out of your bell. It is simply rounder than a trumpet.

So I guess my issue is if we call a slot the ability of the instrument to resonate quickly and sharply, that would be good for some players and not so good for others. "Good slotting" really depends on what the player is capable of. Weaker players will prefer rounder slots, stronger players can pick what fits their sound concept. For some it means easy to play, for others secure for yet others high definition of the individual tones. It is really a term that has no direct meaning.

In my case, I use my Getzen 4 valved flugel when I need a bit rounder and the medium bore rotary or Monette Prana when definition needs to be at its premium. My natural trumpet has the most pronounced "slots". I have to work hardest with it to change from note to note.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your point now makes perfect sense to me and you have taught me the real meaning behind slotting. Thank you so much for this excellent description.