Slotting High A's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rumpert, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Rumpert

Rumpert New Friend

Jan 12, 2015
    Kansas
    Hey! I am a sophomore in college, and play lead trumpet in our jazz ensemble. Our director passed out a song with a high A (Concert G6) but I cannot seem to slot the note. I hit either a G, Ab, or Bb. What should I practice to work on that? I've tried every alternate fingering but none of it seems to work. Thank you!

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    This is common.... you will have to tackle it from a couple angles. Equipment and Chops.

Chops: There are lot of different ways that guys play high notes. Which type are you?? It matters. Advice for one type of player will be a waste of time for another. You need to go see someone that can murder the range between G & DHC. Probably the top call guy in your area.

You are likely to be over blowing. Back off. ALOT. Practice SLOWLY and softly with more control up AND down. Go back to your Clarke book and start doing #4 8va starting on middle C. That goes to a high C. As soft as you can complete the exercise. You want to do the ones between middle C and F (even though they may be in your "comfort zone") because you need to develop the foundation and not HAVE to overblow to make it happen. When you start doing the one that starts on Bb you will finally be on the one that bridges the gap between the G-Ab-A. Again, your enemy is pressure and force. Play them as softly as you can. Up & down chromatic scales.

Other guys work through the problem by playing an A as a really sharp note on the open G partial.. or lipping down a 1st valve Bb. The trick is you REALLY need complete control in this register to be able to bend a Bb up or down on command without "falling off".

Ear training is important... you need to know where the A is. What it sounds like.
    You can do some flow studies (8va Chicowicz & Schlossberg)

Equipment: You may experiment with mpc things (throat, gap, backbore, cup), tuning slide shape (square, round, elliptical), a looser slotting horn vs a tighter slotting horn... a step bore vs a straight bore horn, a heavyweight horn vs a lightweight.

Chops is the ultimate answer. Lynn Nicholson can play all this stuff just on the rim rim of a mpc... no cup, no backbore, not even a trumpet. Just pure chops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc-YXUMMwbw

Why is the director programming charts you can't play?? There are tons of chops with great killer G's. If you can slaughter a G you should do those. Why do you (the band director) want to sound bad and put your kids in a position to fail by programming things in a range you can't play.... when you guys can sound awesome on tons of material to tops out where you can play.

3. Rumpert

Rumpert New Friend

Jan 12, 2015
    Kansas
    Thanks! And it's not programmed, he just handed it out, but seeing as it's Channel One Suite, I kind of want to play it! Haha. The problem is I can hit every note up to DHC EXCEPT high A. Kind of frustrating.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Channel One Suite if far more challenging than the one 8th note high A in the middle of a lick (mm141).... F-G-Bb-DHC-A-F-HighC-D, the last half is just a F-Major arpeggio. F_A_C. It will be the two whole notes long high D with a nice decrescendo taper and ritard AFTER that lick that kills you guys. Check out Chuck Schmidt here at 5:25 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InEAjJphrgk

You also need a 2nd trumpet player that is strong between High C & G and a 3rd player that can go from G in the staff to a high C fluidly (mm 205-6)

Oh yeah.. and you guys gotta be able to play above the staff with harmon mutes.... in tune, have a ripping tenor player and, of course... a drummer.

Check out Tony G... on a Bach 3c! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEST1Qcsq1I (at 5:00 in)

Listen to how soft Miyashiro gets on that high D starting at 11:07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu9D48QbTiE

It is not the high A that defines this tune. Not by a mile.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try false fingering it with the third valve.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So it may be a mind thing too. Hear the note in your head and think more on hearing it rather than playing it. Repetitive failures can be a programmed behavioral response. If you focus your mind on a more pure task (such as hearing the tone) you may work past a mental block.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chase used to finger the high A with 123.

8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I used to have this same problem (I still do sometimes) - one teacher suggested I use all three valves just to give it a shot...and it worked extremely well.

9. Rumpert

Rumpert New Friend

Jan 12, 2015
    Kansas
    Hey again! In case you were curious, 123 valve combination works perfectly! Thank you all for the ideas!

10. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I'm glad that this solution worked for you...

Have lots of fun with the chart!

Janell

Janell Carter

---
    Trumpet Corner
    ---