slotting notes problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I've been working on Irons 27 groups of studies and its improving my range and endourance drastically. However, now I'm haveing a big problem finding notes just about anywhere. I would say the issue occours inbetween a D in the staff all the way to a Bb. For example my Ds I often start as an F, my E is often a G, my G an A, and my F a Bb. I acnt really just get used to it with practice I don't think because my muscle is constantly growing and doesn't get much of a chance to get a feel before getting even better. This is posing a problem because my schools music consists of music always demanding these notes for some reason :/

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Try, using a tuner, to play one of the notes, say the D, 5 times. Each time bringing up the instrument as if playing the first note in a piece. If you miss pitch, start again until you play 5 clean notes. Then move to another problem note and repeat. Each note is played by presenting the trumpet to your face and removing it again after every single note. This helps you to get used to the note production and improves muscle memory.

3. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Excellent question! Yes, do exactly what Rapier says and do NOT get lazy. Actually put the horn down and start the notes from scratch and after you are proficient do it for a few minutes every day to check on your status. Many non-professional players think they are 'all over the horn' but after sitting for more than thirty seconds miss any given note half the time. And we don't even want to talk about symphony work. Your problem is very much compounded if you play in a community band or a trumpet section where there's a bit of wiggle room when it comes to this.

Excellent post.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If you have access to a keyboard or piano It might help to play the note then buzz it on a mouthpiece as well as following Rapier's very good post

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Have you noticed a tightness with your chops? Sometimes these types of range exercises can really effect ones ability to loosen the embrochure. That might explain why you are over shooting the notes.
    It is a point of controversy with some but I use a warm down to pedals at the end of my practice session to reduce the tightness.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I don't think it has to do with tuning at all. I’m not sure what Irons 27 is, although when I get a student breathing correctly it is easy to tell this because they normally start to “Overshoot” all their notes. The reason for this is they have become more efficient and at the same time they are putting out the same amount of energy as they had to when they were not using air correctly. It’s like beefing your 130 HP car up to 500 HP. Now you have all this extra power and have to learn how to control it… So, here is something to try. When you start overshooting your notes, relax and back off a little at a time and see if this allows you to more easily centre your notes.. If this is your problem, as you back off your effort, all your notes should become very easy to centre.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Certainly, with escalating intensity in your exercise, being it playing a musical instrument or otherwise, you will feel the "burn" (as some refer to it, albeit that isn't accurate). Still, I cannot ascertain any differential benefit in loosening the embouchure by concluding my practice with softer and slower melodies that would not be more refreshing than a cool drink, hot shower and several hours of rest.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Some experimentation with tuning slide position might be useful. Try bending up and down until you find the resonant center, with your eyes closed, and then look at the tuner. You might find that the best position is not the one you've been using.

Tom

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In addition to the above advice there are a couple of fun exercises that might help.

Do some lip slurs that involve the notes in question in ultra ultra slow motion. For example, slur from d to f and back so that there is almost a glissando between the notes. going up there will be a sensation of a slight crescendo and increasing volume before breaking into the higher note. Don't try to force the change between notes, just be a passive observer and let your body memorize that point where the note changes. (Accuracy comes from a combination of "hearing" the note before it is played and "feeling" it as well.)

What is real fun is to do the following with a colleague. Place trumpets at opposite ends of a room. Both players agree on the note to be played while standing in the middle of the room. On the count of three, both players run for their instruments and try to be the first to play that note. It is sort of like a benign shoot-out.

Have fun!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    More air... use more air.