slotting notes problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But don't dent your trumpet. Be careful out there.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would amend that to "use more air wisely." If we are, say sitting on a G in the staff and blow harder with more air, yeah, we'll excite that G to the point that it jumps to the C above it but it will sound really bad.

My colleague in the Süddeutsches Blechbläserquintett played second trombone in the Stuttgarter Philharmoniker and a trombone playing doctor, just for the fun of it, measured the lung capacity of the wind players. Surprisingly, these measurements were all over the map, leading the good doctor to conclude that how one uses the air is more important than lung capacity.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    In addition to all the other good stuff, make sure you're not tensing up and 'squeezing' the high notes out, especially if extra lip pressure is involved. This really screws up your accuracy when you come back to mid-register. Easy to say, but it's as important to practise relaxtion through the range, as any other factor.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Or less air. He's over shooting his intended note, so probably using too much air and also probably too much pressure. But only he and his tutor know for sure. :cool:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not true... Your will NEVER have on oversupply of air so you can never take in too much. You just titrate out the supply you have and if emergency calls, you have reserve. Life is ALL about having more reserve.

Just like when I wear pants with ample room, never know when I need to call in for reserve space.

6. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    So simple

So hard

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    The OP might be overshooting the note as his efficiency increases. The work that he needed to do prior to the improvement may be overkill now, and the feel for a given note may actually be much lower than what it was previously.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This I have done.

Tom

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do you ever practice playing softly? It indeed sounds like you've progressed to the point of needing to manage your airflow better. Less is more when you've become efficient and you need to adjust accordingly.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: slotting notes problem

Get a Harrelson SWE Summit. Slotting problem... solved.