Slotting - What exactly is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Scat is a biologist's term for fecal matter.

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    So a scat singer should not be singing 'doo-be doo-be do' but 'poopy poopy poo'?

ROFL

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Uh...to bring this thread back into focus (or, if you'll forgive me) to re-slot it:

If what is now called 'slotting' used to be known as 'centered'...

...and if well-slotted/centered notes have both the maximum number of overtones and the maximum impedance (resistance)...

...and because we all know from experience that playing 'in the slot/centered' takes less effort than playing a note bent up or down...

...then that suggests that a horn that slots/centers well provides for an optimal impedance match between the horn and the player...

...which really translates into maximum output for minimim input, resulting in (one of) the Holy Grails of trumpet playing: maximum efficiency.

So because efficiency is one of the keys to playing well and provides for better tone, greater projection, better use of air, less pressure, better endurance, etc., then a horn that slots/centers better will always be a superior and preferred instrument - right?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    For the type of playing I do, I love horns that slot well. I can imagine a loose-slotting horn would be fine for jazz or certain solos, though, to "color" the notes.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    From what I understand slotting can be either a desirable trait or not.

It really depends on the intonation of the horn, and the setting. For example playing with a piano or other equal tempered instrument, a horn that is justly intonation and slots strongly will sound bad in some keys.

Brass bands, orchestras, jazz combos, all have just a little bit different style of tuning, so a horn that slots strongly in one context may not slot well in another, a loosely slotting horn maybe more versatile.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I also think it might depend on what you'd learned on. My horns are pretty bendy so a horn that won't let me play the note where I think it ought to be is not a horn I want to be playing.

Tom

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've never had a horn I couldn't favor a note one way or the other to play it in tune with whatever was going on. I play mainly in the classical/concert band/brass band areas, and having horns that I don't have to think about centering on a note, especially on fast passages, is a plus. I generally know where any given note will be, and can intuitively compensate if a chord or key requires it. In my experience, most notes are spot-on with a good instrument that slots, which lets me concentrate more on musicality than intonation.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think mouthpiece makes a huge difference. I have noticed that my jettone seems to have alot of bend to it. Last night I surprised my self and bent smoothly from a high G down to an E.

Likewise I seem to have problems distinguishing between a high G and high A and high B, they just slide around between the 7th 8th and 9th partials, not necessarily easier to play in tune IMHO.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That's exactly what I was wondering .... More open slotting, like the Martin I have, might be better for a pop or blues setting, or a ballad with a piano. It's different than when you're blending with other horns, isn't it ... where you want to be perfectly in tune with all the other brass?

With the Martin, there isn't any strong slotting that you have to fight, it's more adjustable, like singing. Maybe you need MORE FEEDBACK with a more open slotting trumpet.:dontknow:

Turtle

10. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    Is the slotting different from horn to horn, person to person, mouthpiece to mouthpiece?