Slow valve recrudescence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Apr 13, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    When I'm not blowing through the horn the valve currently moves fast and free. I could try, but without being able to blow through the horn I'm unsure what that might point to.
    -- Okay, I just tried that -- no difference so far as I can see, all valves fine.

--bumblebee

2. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wouldn't have thought that either, but was just wondering why the problem only shows when I'm playing (and paying attention to my hand position/technique) and not when I'm doing the same motions when not blowing.

I wonder if warming the horn has anything to do with it? Could the valves expand just that little bit when being blown through with warm air? Compression is very good on this trumpet, and it looks far less worn than my younger Recording. All the slides "pop" like my very new horns (unlike the Recording).

--bumblebee

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Since this problem has only happened after a relacquer, I would suggest that other than mechanical damage there is some overspray in the cylinder.

Regards, Stuart.

4. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Stuart,

thanks - that has occurred to me too, and I have checked for any sign but see none (might be imperceptible though). I think I'll make a call to the tech who did the work a bit later today.

--bumblebee

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My guess is it is because your brain isn't thinking of just pressing the valves, so your hand position gets less mental attention.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Over the years, several dozen instruments of various ages, manufacturers and build qualities have passed through my hands. I'm not the most careful of individuals, and yes, from time to time, I've had a 'sluggish' valve that needed a little bit of attention. May be I've been lucky, but I've yet to come across a valve that wouldn't free up to a twisted rag worked back and forth within the casing.

It's easy to take a 'doom and gloom' view of these problems, but we shouldn't assume mechanical damage until the basic instrument 'hygiene' measures have been exhausted.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm thinkin' that some palm pressure from the right hand moved the second valve slide a bit. Try pushing the slides in the opposite direction using moderate pressure.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm thinkin, what a GREAT word:

re-CRUD-esence

The esence of crud that has returned! Wow... powerful...

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All I can say is:

Keep the funk out a my face;
    Keep the funk out a my face;

What cha say,

Keep the funk out a my face
    Keep... the... funk.... out a my face

Well keep the funk!

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Here's a new one that happened to me recently.
    The guide pin, the one that goes in the slot on most horns has (on Olds) a slot it travels in when the valve goes up and down. That channel had some rough edges on it causing the valve to be slow coming up and sometimes hang up. Weird......... I used a fine file to clean it up (cleaned all parts well after), problem solved