Slow valve recrudescence

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Apr 13, 2014.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Interesting. Didn't know that Olds made pin valves.

Tom

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I may be using wrong term. The valve guide has the "pin" that fits in the slot of the spring barrel.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    This has reminded me of an old Henri Selmer Cornet I have, exactly the same problem except in the 1st valve, only hangs on the return when I play it. My tech has had it for a chem clean, even went as far as a light hone of the casing with no result.

I suspect there has been a valve job done on it at one time as the spring box has been nickle plated. The compression is good and the valve seems free enough, no side play and rotates freely throughout its travel. This is the only one of my horns I have had this problem with.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Using proper terminology is important. "The valve doohickey has the thingy that fits in the thingamabob of the thingamajig." Put this way, even a spouse can understand it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    AND, soak that sucker in acetone (don't forget to clean the ports)! :cool:

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ah, yes. A pin valve has a guide pin in the side of the valve body that travels in a long slot in the casing. Bottom sprung.

So, yes, not what you were talking about. :-)

Tom

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I spoke to the repair tech who fixed the Martin up for me - he assured me he did not let any lacquer into the valve casing, and I believe he is one of the best people to send a trumpet to also. He made several suggestions to me already repeated here, and he singled out using toothpaste to lap the valve as his best option once I'm sure I've actually cleaned the horn well.

--bumblebee

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Did you use the acetone / nail polish remover? I would do that before "lapping" with toothpaste. Acetone is a chemical process. Toothpaste is an abrasive process.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I am not rushing to use toothpaste - my next step is to do another clean, using the most effective stuff I can. The valve moves really freely when I don't blow, so I am sure I'll work something out before I'd have to resort to mechanical changes.

--bumblebee

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I suspect a loose fitting (worn )piston. But check and make sure the through-piston air vent is not blocked.