slump

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Well I hope your lips are fixed in time for the jazz festival.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Sure sounds like contact dermatitis to me. Grab a plastic mouthpiece and see if that solves your problem. If it does come back and tell us. The good doctors on the forum will probable have some good advise.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I've been using silver plated brass mouthpieces ever since I started playing, and I've using my current mouthpiece for a year. How could i be allergic to metal!?

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Allergies have a way of popping up out of nowhere.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You know hhs, lips unfortunately have a bit of a life of their own. I was talking about consistency to my teacher during my last lesson and expressing my frustration about the subject and what I got was, among other things, a "welcome to the club" type of thing. Your chops are probably fine. If you haven't changed anything, you're not likely experiencing an externally triggered problem. On your next few practice sessions, concentrate on breathing, body mechanics and sound. Do frequent, short practices and take it easy. Go to your high notes but don't push it and don't stay there too long. If a note doesn't happen, don't try to force it to happen. Work on those segments that are in unusual keys with less familiar fingerings and less frequented successions of notes. Play a little, rest a little. Look at Greg Spence vids. I bet your chops will be ok for the gig.

6. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Ah, the ups and downs of trumpet playing! Gotta love it! It's one of those things that can really shock your confidence, which is pure poison for a performer. Part of your problem may be your very reaction to this. It is normal to have good days and bad days and sometimes it seems the bad days outnumber the good. But you may be creating more pressure and just mentally derailing yourself by worrying about this. While you're working on the physical stuff, don't forget the mental stuff and don't let it get you down. It's one of the things that the only way out is through. Relax and don't become your own worst enemy here.

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I figured out what I needed!
    -more rigorous warm up
    -tighter embouchure

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you sure you weren't just dehydrated? It's been cold here in California for a bit and the heating units have a way of drying you out.
    In any case .. glad you are feeling better about your playing ... watch your diet just in case this pops up again... just a thought