Slur It First!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, May 4, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    One thing I learned in my last lesson was to slur something first before trying to tongue it. This helps to make sure you are keeping a good even air flow. If you can play it evenly while slurring it makes it that much easier to play with tonguing. I have always known the importance of a good even air flow. I just didn't know how much I wasn't doing it until these first two lessons. The tonguing is so much easier when it has a good air flow to ride on. Sorry to keep posting so much about these lessons, but I get more excited each time I see the value in the things that my teacher has suggested. :-)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I hear slur it first, there better be the sound of banging valves down at the same time. No articulation is ONLY useful when we force our fingers to be 200% in time.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Most of the time I do bang the valves down. At times I find myself getting lazy about that and dedicate myself to really knocking them down. I spent some time with the Claude Gordon method. Banging the valves down is what I took from it. His method seemed to be too time consuming with little time spent on actual music so I left the rest on a speaker in my living room.

4. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I always play stuff slurring first, for exactly the reasons you stated, i teach myself alone, and this helps me know how the notes should sound after each other so i can learn the song or excersize. sometimes if i tounge first a wrong note will pop out and ill get confused.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I was no longer progressing as quickly as I wanted , so I got a teacher. Best money spent in a LONG time.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I had a teacher who had me play troublesome etude phrases on just the mouthpiece, concentrating on keeping the buzz going. I articulated while I buzzed, but keeping the mouthpiece buzz going requires a quick articulation that doesn't stop the airflow.

Just tossing that out there, as another learning approach to maintaining consistent airflow.

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I studied with a student of Claude Gordon who taught me to mix up the artiiculations of all the SA exercises. Even though everything is written out slurred, Claude apparently meant it to be used with all different articulations, oner of the mopst important being k-tongue.

Trust me here, though, if you believe that the SA system is too time consuming with not enough time spent on "real music" with the CG method, you are missing the point of the entire system.

I found that the SA system was excellent for laying the real foundation for my mechanics. Once I spent the time on the mechanics, I found that I could focus on the material at hand without having to worry about getting he notes to sound. For me now conquering etudes and te like becomes more a question of refining technique than learning to play the horn.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It may be that I was trying to work through this method without guidance. I do think that there are multiple ways to reach the same goal when playing the trumpet. There are plenty of folks that are very successful that have never studied SA. That doesn't make SA a bad system. It just might not be for everyone. My concentration is now on becoming a more complete musician. I see the SA as a method to improve tone production throughout the range of the instrument. What good would it be to have the greatest range and sound but have no idea as to when to play in time with others. Of course I was trying to work through the SA completely alone. That was probably a problem in itself. That being said, I have a good teacher that is helping me now. It just doesn't include the SA. We are working more on musicianship. Training my ear, interpreting different styles of music, and improving my understanding of time signatures is at the top of my priority list of things to work on. Spending hours playing the exercises in the SA would take valuable time away from the real problem areas in my playing.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Great for you. A good teacher is money well spent. I use the same slurring exercise to demonstarte how to tongue notes with a consistant sound from one note to the next. It requires proper air use/support. Not only does playing this way also support the tongue but it sounds so much better/musical. One of the things that my students learn over time is that proper technique naturally helps to make things sound musical.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Damnation - another epiphany. :oops: Yahoo, I'll soon get the hang of this trumpetting stuff.

I'm constantly amazed at how seemingly tiny statements so often hit a chord with me - thanks once again.