Slurring or toungeing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I like to play slurring, i find it easier and sounds better (to me). When i tounge i hear my tounge and oral cavity noises as well as the notes and it sounds wierd. Is that normal to hear the insides of my mouth making wet clicky noises? Im gonna record myself later to see how it sounds and if it sounds like it does in my head.

I find slurring easier but takes more air. I could definately play longer phrases tounging, but kinda hesitant to tounge in the higher notes i can reach, its just easier to just blow to push them out.

Is that normal for a novice?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Normal is that some things are easier than others. We practice the hard stuff, the things that don't sound as good--practicing things we sound good at isn't practice--it is showing off. Practicing the things we aren't good at is what makes us better. No (aural) pain, no gain.

If you can manage it, have fun!

3. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Generally, you slur or tongue when the music tells you to. Of course if it's ad lib or a solo you interchange for variety, but otherwise stick to what the music tells you.

If you're only a beginner, you may not know how to articulate your tongue for a clean and precise attack. A good way to develop your tonguing skill is to play easy passages of music, all staccato. You'll find that the lower you go, the harder it is to get this clean. I would recommend you incorporate into your warm up routine (which you may or may not have) and practice is for about 2 minutes a day.

Also, slurring up to the higher notes is actually more difficult (depending on the interval) than it is to tongue. Again, all you need to do is practice all registers, trying to get the attack as clean as you can.

After a month of this kind of practice, you should really start to be seeing results.

Hope this helps.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    If you're soloing, mix the slurring and tongueing to get the best effect.

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thanks guys, Yeah i'm just gonna play hard stuff this weekend, it's true about the easy stuff is just showing off, but its more fun lol.

yeah i do find myself mixing tounging and slurring when i play fast up and down, But the only soloing i do, is me playing alone in my room! ba doom tish!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Interesting observations....

The more we slur, the bigger our sound. The reason for that is that when the tongue raises to articulate a note, it lessens the area for the air to pass through in the cavity.
    The more we tongue, the more tension we develop in our throat.

When you record yourself, push the mike into the side of your neck and see where the sounds are coming from.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter needs it all. There is no choice of one OR the other, just like speech requires vowels and consonants to be intelligible.

If we have nurtured our playing, there is no loss of bigness or additional throat tension through articulation.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    NOt sure what sounds you are hearing but no those sounds are not normal. It is easier to slur for a novice because it doesn't require using the tongue. I would suggest getting some lessons on this. that's what teachers are for.