Slurring vs Tonguing in Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try using the part of the tongue when saying... la, la, la, la... at the back of your teeth (not the roof of the mouth) and let the air flow over this.

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thank you all for replies --- I'll look into this information and let you know what happens

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Articulation DOES interrupt the air. It also can add pressure to the beginning of an attack. I find that many players use the tongue to jump start the sound with a really brutal attack. What fixes that is explained in my frequent posts on the circle of breath. We learn to exhale notes without the tongue, then only use enough to articulate (shape) them. As we need everything from clouds to flamethrowers, there is quite a bit to follow up on when our breathing and exhale are decent.

Many of the Americans that audition in Europe these days don't get very far in the audition process because of too much focus on "flow" and not enough on "articulate". Just think about listening to a speech with limited articulation. It is no different with the trumpet!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Let me understand this question correctly ---- YOU CAN'T TEACH?, or you are NOT COMPETENT TO TEACH (at least in regards to yourself) --YET, YOU WANT TO BE A TEACHER OF THE TRUMPET TO OTHERS??? C'mon, my young friend -- if you can't teach your most attentive, inquisitive, and dedicated student you currently have ((THAT WOULD BE YOU)) - then how will you teach others???? I mean that is some self intraspective thing you should contemplate!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR TRUMPET LEARNING EXPERIENCE ---THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that being said --- I think it is good for you to keep learning, and keep teaching yourself (IMHO) --- but my opinion is the most important opinion, to me, anyhow ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It sounds like certain things get lost in the translation.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

8. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thought I would chime in here because that IS my problem, above the staff my tongue feels more rigid. My teacher and I are working on this.

9. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Even if it's just shooting in the dark, could you let us know what some of the minor adjustments might potentially be?

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Arban, page 13, exercise 10. Its pretty brutal, but allows you to focus on articulation. (actually the whole first section of the arban is pretty good for that)

Two images that might help (one of which some people don't like)
    1) "The sound faucet" - when articulating, the air is going constantly like a stream of water through a faucet, the tongue just acts as a valve, opening and closing, but the airflow remains steady. Often articulation problems are a result of unsteady air when articulating
    2) think about the end of the note, and not the beginning (some people don't find this helpful)