Slurring vs Tonguing in Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    My rules:

0. Always pay attention to the articulation - don't slur when you shouldn't and don't tongue when marked slurred.
    1. Keep the air moving regardless of style (legato, staccato, in between)
    2. For notes that are not marked slurred, tongue them deliberately - the harshness of the tonguing depends on the overall style of the piece and what the conductor has in mind
    3. For slurred notes, I use the "du" or "da" syllable - soft attack with the tongue hitting the roof of the mouth as opposed to just behind the top teeth. The harshness would be controlled by what part of the tongue hits the roof of the mouth.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You want to get to the point where tonguing correctly becomes a habit . Then you don't have to concentrate on it. To get there you have to practice tonguing preferably on exercises that are easy enough so that you can concentrate on your tongue until the skill becomes a habit.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    what material are you using to practice double tonguing?

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Arbans and Vizzutti

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    One thing to consider Mark, even if you don't set up regular lessons, would be to set up a few with a pro or highly recomended instructor who can show you some routines and books you might not have considered.
    There is a school of thought that is to not to spend too much time on any one technique.
    ie 10-15 minutes single tonguing, 10-15 minutes double tonguing etc . at least in any one sitting.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Those are the ones I use to teach double tonguing. If you can play the first 3 pages of the Arban you should be able to play most of the music you'll need to.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The tonguing seems to be improving, and I've been following the advice about lightening up on the tongue, letting it remain supple, and only concentrating on it for a bit at a time in practice sessions.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    keep it light but not sloppy. esp. when you are first working on double tonguing. be sure to make clean Taas and Kaas. otherwise when you start to go fast the articulation will be muddy. Important think of blowing through the tongue or through to the next note. this gives your air column forward motion which supports the tongue in addition to the lips. keep tongue movement to a minimum. In fact keep the syllables as far forward in the mouth as is comfortable. If you do four reps. of Arban's a day you'll see steady improvement. Now that's four reps. with no mistakes. If you make mistakes it doesn't count. The reason i say four is because is bad if you overwork the tongue at this point. you don't want to develop bad tonguing habits. Remember: garbage in garbage out.