Slurs and Perfect Pitch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Double_G, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Perfect Pitch. What is it? If you would be so kind to explain. I've wondered for a while what it was.

And slurs. Do you have any exercises that would help me slur up easier? I can do single octave slurs, but now that my high range is beginning to develop I would like to learn the easiest way to do double octave slurs up. Got any tips or techniques?

Thanks in advance Manny.

-Andrew

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Andrew,

Without giving you a dictionary style definition, a person who has perfect pitch that has musical training, can hear a pitch and tell you what it is without having to think about it. Like recognizing an image of color. Show him red and he'll say "Red". Play a C and he'll say "C".

As far as slurs go, no, I really don't have advice on how to do it without hearing you and here's why:

The development of techniques such as the wide slurs are good ones to develop as long as there's a concept of a good quality sound that accompanies. You will develop the ability to do two octaves slurs in precisely the same way you learn the one octave slurs. This is an extremely advanced technique as there is very little call for it. However, the ability to do so shows great command of the instrument and does wonders for confidence.

In my opinion, the two octave slur is of little value to me unless I can eliminate every note in between. Both sounds, top and bottom, must be full and resonant. My sense is that's likely what you've accomplished on the one octave jumps. Use that as a guide for your work in increasing your flexibilty.

So, I don't want to advise you without making sure you understand that a solid sound on both notes is paramount to your playing techniques. Let that be your guide.

ML

3. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Thanks for the help anyway Manny. :D