Slurs/no purchase necessary to build range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, May 1, 2011.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    I've not done slurs to build range because I don't know what to do. From which note, to which do I slur? How long should I do this (how much of practice time)? Please, if slurring has worked for you, I ask what you did, in detail. If I don't have something already proven to work (even if only for a few people), I will have to make up something on my own, which will not be consistent from day to day, and before long I will not practice slurring.

I also have Complete Lip Flexibilites (Vol I-III) by Charles Colin. What should I do with that? I played the first exercise and etude (which was to play so many slurred notes in one breath; I couldn't do it) for a about a week. With no noticeable improvement, I gave up and haven't opened the book since.

When you do exercises that say: "do x in one breath," or whatnot, do you just over when you mess up , and keep trying for a few minutes and move on to something else?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Do you have a teacher? Usually, a teacher will give you all of those details. As far as the Colin flexibilities, the number to do in one breath is only a goal. You must work up to that level. Don't give up. Open the book and try again. It will take about a year to reach the goal if you keep at it. That is what trumpet playing is all about. That is why only a special few play and everyone else listens to us.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If you don't know anything about slurring, then you need a good teacher.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The teacher is the way to go ... if it's the cash or perhaps the time to justify lessons you might get someone to help you that knows how to play... or a local teacher for an every other week lesson. Trumpet is tough DIY even if you have had lessons... great choice of instrument .. save yourself some grief. What area do you live...maybe someone can give you a suggestion.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Colin's lip flexibility is not a book for beginner or early intermediate. It requires to already have some range, except for that first page. Practicing these first exercises will probably bring improvement but not until you have built the chops for it (I know it's kinda of a catch 22 thing).

In other words, you should not expect any kind of progress over a week. If anything you would probably experience a little bit of a setback due to the demand placed on your chops, since it is a fairly extensive exercise. If you don't keep at anything longer than a week, you might never get the kind of progress you're seeking.

In my experience, progress happens over months and years. I started playing again regularly in Sep09. I am really satisfied right now because when I experience a "bad" day, it is still quite a bit better than my bad days a year ago.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  7. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Vstern,

there's some good stuff here by Ken Saul...

http://www.ultrapureoils.com/media/9143/warmups.pdf

I've been using this over the last couple of weeks and have managed to extend my range by a minor third already. (I'm about 6 months into a come-back after a 30 year break).

It takes a hellish long time to build up range and stamina. The frustrating part for me has been that until you build up a certain amount of stamina it's not easy to practise long enough to do yourself much good. (At least, that's what I've found.)

I still have trouble slurring up to higher than top-line F. I suggest you stick well within your range for this because slurring up to a note is a lot harder than tonguing it. (I can squeak out a Bb above the stave, but can only slur comfortably up to the F below that.)

Hope this helps a bit :-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Slurring is NOT the answer. Practicing is. But with that said, use the method YOU are most comfortable with following, but I agree with many of the posts above, get a teacher.

So 2 things to do.

1) Get a good teacher
    2) Practice

Then over time, you will develop range.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I always have trouble with the silver bullet approach.

Where in life can you do ONE THING and make a difference (except for loving someone). How many people playing the lottery have NOTHING but hope that they will hit it one day. I say, get a life.

Driving a car needs eyes, ears, brains, fine motor control and coordination. You can eat as many carrots as you want, better eyesight will not improve your driving.

It is the same with the trumpet. A well rounded routine builds slowly, but intelligently. It gives the body, soul and ears a chance to get used to one another and get in sync.

I would venture to say that because you asked the question, you don't need the Colin book yet. Simple slurs are all that you need to get started, balanced with long tones, breathing exercizes and tons of easy tunes. If you don't know anything about slurs, there is a big world that you need to be introduced to.

10. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks for all of your responses. I will open the book again or at least do slurs and stick with it. Years for noticeable growth is a long time, but I'm certain it's worth it.