sm 57 mic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by westhorn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. westhorn

westhorn New Friend

Oct 25, 2007
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I am just getting into mics and being amplified - ie I do know not much at all about it.

This week I played in a studio with a drummer friend who supplied an sm 57 mic which seemed very manageable. I like it that the horn has to be close to it for it to pick up the sound.

Occasionally I play along with a Samba band who are very loud and if I am not amplified then I won't be audible (except for when I drift into a break:cool:)

I suppose along with mics goes the question of mixers and amps if anyone has any views on those too.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We used the SM57 for our funk horn section in the 70's. I don't think they are state of the art anymore, but they are "vintage" and durable. I'm curious too, what folks are using now.

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "We used the SM57 for our funk horn section in the 70's. I don't think they are state of the art anymore, but they are "vintage" and durable."......ouch. I'm using a SM57 in the current funk band, I know I'm not "state of the art" anymore, wife says I'm vintage, and the knees.......well so much for the durable. I do need to be up on the mic when I play, but not too sure the mix is helping me much either.......chuck:cool:

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    Wetaskiwin, Alta, Canada
    Many of the clubs, venues, and ships I've worked on use the 57 still because it's relatively inexpensive and will take a great deal of beating and still work. As you've said, the proximity requirements are nice as in a live setting the 57 will reject sounds well from louder sources (like guitars) that are further away. Another good "live" mic is the Sennheiser 421. Better sound than the 57, but not quite as tough or as good at rejecting unwanted sounds. Of the two I like the 421 better, but everyone seems to have lots of 57's kicking around. Ah well, both of them make a very satisfying "thwack" when used in conjunction with annoying saxophone players... ;)

5. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    After trying a wide variety of expensive and not so expensive mic's, I play almost all the time with a 57. One thing I like about it is that it is rather flat, so you can use the board more easily to get the sound you want.

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'm thinking of doing a little recording, and I'd like to use one mic to do both trumpet and piano (not at the same time). Would the sm57 handle that?

7. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    One question : is the maximum allowable sound pressure level of the SM57 high enough for an instrument like a trumpet ?

bigaggetrumpet : for the piano, I think a pair of mics is best as it can help you get a feeling of stereo.

St├ęphane

8. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    SM57 is a work horse. They are still used all of the time. It is probably the most popular microphone for snare drums, and guitar cabinets. They work fine for horns. The SM57 can handle the high pressure of drums, guitars,and horns. I have a few of them.

Most of the time now i use a Sennheiser 421 or a AKG 414.

9. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    if it's in a studio, go with the Sennheiser 421, you'll get a warmer sound.... live recording, the 57 will do just fine.;-)

10. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    I like the Sennheiser 441. It's pricey, but sounds GREAT! I've never had an issue with an SM57. Like any mic, you have to spend some time figuring out where to put the bell to get the sound you want.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
    misty.sj likes this.