sm 57 mic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by westhorn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I'd love to go with the Sennheiser...but that 300 dollar price tag makes me shy away a bit, considering this is just for kicks and giggles, thus why I'd kinda leaned towards the SM57.

2. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Most dynamic mics can take more of a pounding (SLP-wise & physically) than condensers. If dynamic mics work for you, you can try experimenting with others like Shure SM-58, Audix D2, Sennheiser e609 (designed for guitar cabinets), Sennheiser 835 or 845. Most of those are under $200. Some might work as well, or better, (or worse!!) depending on your sound and the kind of music you play. For instance, I don't care for the combination of an SM-57 w/Mackie 1604/1402/1202 mixers at all. I prefer a Sennheiser 421, 441 or EV RE 20. I know those mics are pricey, so a good economical alternative for me is a Sennheiser 845 or e609. Everyone is different.

Good luck,
    Garry

3. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Play in a soul/blues band. Here is a link to the mic (ATM35cW) I use: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more

Use SM-58's for rest of horn section. My part of show is a lot of dancin' and actin' the fool, too, which is where the wireless comes in. When using the SM-58's, I like using the sound reflectors, like ones at: Morgan Music Products' NoteBandit Sound Reflector
    These reflect your sound back to you so you can hear yourself, and help keep you in good ensemble with those around you.

Enjoy those venues that let you blow! A lot of places with an older crowd, or where dinner is the star, will not appreciate trumpets blowing into mics. Not typically a concern in a salsa band, but they play a variety of venues, too, so application in good taste is an important lesson I learned the hard way. Look forward to hearing what everyone else uses, too. Ciao for now, --HH:cool:

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    The 57 isn't a high end mic (at $99), but is a proven workhorse. I've seen them positioned about an inch from the rim of a snare drum, so it will certainly be able to handle the sound of a trumpet.

TK

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The BBC used to use SM57's for mikeing up brass sections.
    They had crates of them and they got used for all sorts of purposes.

6. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I own an sm57 and pretty much every gig I have played there is one on the stand waiting for me. They just seem to be the default, affordable, durable and pretty good sounding horn mic :-)

7. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    When I was recording, I used the Sennheiser 421 and AKG 414 on trumpets and trombones. The SM57 is also perfectly fine for a tough road situation (or a 58, but the windscreen is superfluous for this application).

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Is there any other kind of saxophone player?ROFL

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    SM57s and SM58s are around $100. The 57 is geared toward instuments and the 58 is more of a vocal mic. Of course you can use a 57 for vocals and a 58 for horns, but if you're primary purpose for the mic is for your horn, buy the 57.

10. joco

joco New Friend

Jan 31, 2010
    Can anyone offer any comparison between the Sennheiser 441 vs 421... looks like you can pick up a used 441 for almost the price of a new 421.... so is the 441 that much better?