Small Bore = higher notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlhend2002, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Incredibly well said, although I would replace personal preference with personal prejudice in most cases. Very few brass players have really methodically tried enough to have a valid "preference". The manufacturers bore size listing is the placebo that stills the thirst for knowledge!

John, THANK YOU!

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    This thread brought up another thing for me. I remember that not too long ago on another forum there was a discussion about flugel horns and lots of people talked about how much they like a particular Kanstul model (I can't remember the model number).

During this discussion, I noticed that this flugelhorn apparantly has a .452 or thereabouts bore, which is much smaller than my trumpet. This surprised me, because I always assumed that a flugel was by definition, a larger bore instrument than a trumpet (hey, I'm not a gearhead). I wrote to kanstul and Jack assured me that it was the bore size and also offered some explanation about it, which I have forgotten.

Anyway, this thread just reminded me of that discussion...

bigtiny

3. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    I would have to say the thing that makes the difference is practice. I bought a new mouthpiece a few months ago and it is about the size of a Bach 1x and I could barley even play F on top of the staff. After weeks of debating wheater to return to the 3E i finally got my range back (not that is was very good) and now I actually have better range with the 1x than the 3E.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    .470 bore, 3C mpc, works great for me (tone, intonation, range, endurance, etc.)

.455 bore, same mpc, not so great for me....

I play primarily commerical/lead, with some orchestral work on the side.

Smaller bore does not equal more notes for me.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I find the upper register easier to play on large bore horns, but they do need a lot of air to fill , back in the 70`s I wasn`t playing much lead but was hired mostly as a screamer ,I was using a .468 bore then and loved it ,but when I started getting more and more calls for lead it was much easier on a ML .459 .460 bore , they needed less air so physically I wasn`t as tired at the end of the night.

6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I can play better and higher with my own trumpets (large bore) or with the Jerry Callet 470 bore rather than on a Conn vintage (438).
    Small bore is, for me, a matter of sound.

7. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    Just to remind everyone, Doc has never played anything larger than a .459 bore, Faddis plays a .450 as does Roger Ingram. The Yamaha/Shew is around .450, if I remember correctly. My first trumpet was a Connstellation, which is .43? and was played by Cat Anderson, Maynard, Cootie Williams, and many others. Most of Bill Adam's students played .459 bore Bachs for many years, as did many of Ray Crisara's students. Of course that doesn't mean squat if it doesn't work for you, but I bring it up to illustrate that it bigger isn't universally better.
    John

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let us not forget that bore size is measured ONLY at the valve block and says NOTHING about the tapers of the rest of the horn.

Again, RANGE IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE NOT HARDWARE!!!!! A great horn balances all of the different parameters to get a certain playing characteristic. One thing that I can say, basic horn theory dictates that a smaller bell diameter will be more efficient at higher frequencies. That could make high notes louder if you have the chops!

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I have an MF Horn (very big bore) which I primarily play and some medium bore horns such as Bach strads and an old Martin Committee. The smaller the bore the easier it is to play higher. It takes less work to play the same notes. However, there's a difference in the quality of the sound(for me anyway). Small, medium, and large bores sound great but the large bore MF has the sound I like, fat, rich and in the upper register, WOW!!. You may want to look at how you're using your air and embrochure if you're tiring too soon. Take a lesson from a university trumpet professor and let him see what you're doing. Watch out and make sure you're not using too much pressure!!

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    And the Claude Gordon Benge that mentioned earlier allows me to get a nicer sound than the 3x+ (which is why I sometimes play it) but it wears me out. However, I cannot get as rich a sound on the smaller 3x+.

bigtiny