small hand ..thin fingers... third valve ring issue... suggestions please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Oct 27, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey Guys,
    I have a young student, she is a senior in high school, and am giving trumpet lessons to. She has never used the third valve trigger. So I am trying to get her to work on this. Now it was a combo lesson and she didn't have her horn it's the pro model Jupiter. I let her use my Strad. Her fingers are so small and thin it is really hard for her to kick the slide. Is there something made that can be put in the ring so she doesn't have as much play?
    I noticed she was using her pinky at first.. my gut say not a good idea but??? ( she actually can fit both her pinky and ring finger in the ring at the same time)
    I am going to see if the ring can be moved in closer to the block, which seems like a good possibility ..yes ? no?
    A smaller ring mounted?
    Should I have her work on the 1st valve saddle slide? my gut says not yet. I even thought of having her use the 1st valve instead of the third when possible ..
    maybe a pull trigger like the Old's Recordings have..
    I am open to any suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have small hands, too - the best option for me was to change my grip so my middle finger is in the ring. More power, and an easier reach. If the ring is very far it is a help to move it, but practice is a big help when adjusting to a new grip.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was hoping you would respond Flugelgirl .. and I considered doing just that but then how do you manage the first valve saddle?

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If her hand is small and her pinky finger fits in the third-slide ring without uncomfortable bunching of the other three fingers, I'd say let her use the pinky. However, if her hand is so small that she doesn't have the hand-span to extend the third and first slides with the same hand position, triggers may be the way to go. Now, I'm not claiming that she needs to be able to extend both slides simultaneously -- that's really only needed to play low F, which is generally just a stunt. But I do think it's desirable to keep a consistent hand position when manipulating the slides.

I regularly play with a fellow with very small hands. He's in his late 40's and still plays the Bach Strad 37/25 he special-ordered when he was in high school -- with first and third-valve slide triggers.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thx J

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This is one benefit of adjustable rings, for sure. Used to be that the expensive horns had adjustable rings and the less expensive ones were fixed!

That said, is it so awful to wait? Perhaps I was affected by having a wide-slotting vintage horn, but I learned to lip everything in.

Tom

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The flange "base" of the third slide ring can be cut to allow the ring to be moved much closer to the third valve and the first slide thumb hook can be replaced by a smaller ring.

coolerdave likes this.
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    would you put a smaller ring on the third valve slide as well? she must have 2/3's of inside of the ring open

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My Getzen 700 Eterna has an adjustable 3rd slide ring as standard (I think).

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep..I haven't seen her Jupiter yet... but the XO line ring isn't adjustable....gggrr