small shaft, big cup

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    My Noble cornet mouthpiece has the smallest shaft I've ever seen. I use a Mega 3C on my trumpet, and would like to have the cornet mouthpiece be more in line with it. I've attached a photo. Can anyone recommend how to get a cornet mouthpiece for my Noble with a cup similar to the Mega 3C........or your best suggestion.

crow

Attached Files:

2. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Infantile, I know, but your thread title made me snigger.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Cornet mp are generally smaller than trumpet mp
    but if you want a heavier mp, consider getting a matching megatone, or a DW heavy-top

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    That's OK, in another thread they are discussing "brass hooters" so I guess the whole forum is headed down hill......

5. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Where do I get it?

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    fellas,
    i know we're onto something here but let's get serious. I know cornet mouthpieces are smaller than trumpet mouthpieces but this one is super small. Other cornet mouthpieces that I have don't even fit into the receiver. Will I have to get one specially made? If so, where do you recommend that won't take me to the cleaners?

crow

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't know that much about vintage cornets,
    but I know that conn made mouthpieces with shorter shanks and at around the turn of the century made even shorter than those. It may be something along those lines...

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have in my 'accumilation' several shank size cornet mouthpieces. Back when Holton was located in Chicago he made cornets with a very small I.D. receiver. The same was the case with a few other domestic makers and many european manufacturers of that 1880-1930 era. I am not implying that I will part with any of my undersized shank cornet mouthpieces, simply trying to inform that your problem is not unique and that with a diligent search, a mouthpiece can be found.

OLDLOU>>

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks guys, I'll start the search right here in the MOUTHPIECE FORUM..... crow

10. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    Hi,

the picture is good but does not provide enough information. Cornet mouthpieces have smaller shanks than Trumpet mouthpieces.

There are both Short and long shank Cornet mouthpieces as well as some variations.

check out this link, it will show some of those differences.
    The Conn Loyalist

If you can Identify yours as either short or long you will be able to make some mouthpiece choices. Yamaha for example has cornet mouthpieces in both long and short shank, some are close in spec to a 3C Bach.

Bach makes a 3C Cornet mouthpiece in long shank, not sure about short shank, haven't seen spec for one.

Easiest thing would be taking it into a shop and try to identify the receiver type. Once you know that the rest is easy.

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers!

:cool: