Smart Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by et_mike, Feb 9, 2009.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Smart Music... :dontknow:

www.smartmusic.com/

I just got my CD in the mail last week, and so far I am having a blast. :thumbsup: You download whatever song you want an accompaniment to, plug in your mic and the program actually adjust tempo and style to match your playing. The music library is huge for all instruments. There is also a "student" mode that will grade your playing on timing and being in tune. Pretty fun stuff and great if you do the majority of your playing alone, like me! If any of you have used it I would love to hear what you think of it!

2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    My school has told us about it. Sounds interesting too!

3. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I use it occasionaly, it's pretty cool. I don't record on it though, seems the mic. is too sensitive.

4. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    As a practice tool, it is ok. Just remember not to get dependent on it as that can really mess you up when you play without Acc., or with a live acc.

I also heard form some of my friends that it was used as a grading process at my former high school last year and that it was a pain for the students and that it left no room for error (as in if you fumbled a finger then you got it wrong period, no chance to try over)

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    our school uses smart music, its great for solos, i used it at my solo and ensemble, and the judge loved it! we use it as grading and we get like five minutes to play it until we think we have a good recording, its kinda fun... as an induvidual tool, im not sure how great it is but as a class tool its awesome.

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I actually heard about because the school that I work at uses it as a grading tool. nplotts, you are correct it leaves no room... or very little room, for error. However, the director at the school I work at goes back and listens to the recordings and adjust the grades accordingly for the ability of the individual students. It is a great aid for him, since he is the only band director and has over 300 students, but it doesn't replace him as a director. I hope that the director at the school you went to realizes this and doesn't rely on the program alone to grade his students!! At any rate, it is a pretty cool program and a lot of fun!

7. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    It was the first year they had used it, and of course I was only getting the side of the student which I talked to about it. (How bad of a band nerd do you have to be to talk about it in conversation with friends you haven't seen in a few months - year of time)

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    lol... exactly the kind of band nerd that joins a trumpet discussion forum... ;)

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow. That looks cool. Wish I had that when i was in school...

10. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I use smartmusic at my school with High School kids. I grade them on scales and some tunes for our bands. It is a great way to assess the students and let them be able to practice it at home with the accomp files.

Smartmusic is NOT a person, so it doesnt have the right to be lenient. Instead it assess the accuraccy of the pitch and rhythm. I then go in and adjust the grades if I feel I need to.

This program is a wonderful way to back up what I tell my students. What better way to explain to a parent than have a recording and assessment right on the machine. I like this program and use it myself often, I would reccomend it to anyone.

TD