Smart Music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by debater96, Dec 20, 2011.

1. debater96

debater96 New Friend

Dec 10, 2011
    Chicago
    I don't know if any of you have heard of smart music but my band directors are starting to give us assignments for this because they think that it is a great program. But when ever I use it I think that my playing is frantic and rushed not matter what speed I go at. Do you guys have any opinions on smart music?

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think in that way it's good for you, because you notice how difficult it can be to play ALONG with music, rather than just play your part at a certain speed. However, I just play along with recordings though... I'm not going to pay for that. And it also takes some of the live listening and compensation away (which is BAD) off of the student IMO... I mean, part of getting better is dynamic listening and problem solving, with real people, in different situations. No piece is ever played the same twice. You also don't have a thing telling you where you are in the music when you just play with a recording, or playing with a band. I feel this is a handicap more than actual training device. Students need to learn how to practice correctly, not have something tell them how.

I think it's gotten a little too much hype, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure plenty of people love it, I'm just not particularly into it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. debater96

debater96 New Friend

Dec 10, 2011
    Chicago
    I agree with you. I don't enjoy playing with it but we get grades for completing the assignments so unfortunately I have to use it.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It is fantastic. I haven't tried the assignments, but I use the big band and classical pieces for sight reading practice and lead/ride practice. It is really helpful.

5. ReidM

ReidM New Friend

Nov 9, 2010
    Mississippi
    For auditioning for Crown, like I did, you must utilize Smart Music! It is fantastic.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I had to come back to this thread....Smart Music.....rut roh.....just when the spousal unit thought it was safe to come back in the house! Can everyone say "Twisters"? And play with a band? And transpose to a different key. And how come this wasn't here for me 30 years ago? Life ain't fair.....I don't have enough sunrises left in my life to exploit all of what I just got to see!!! Awesome stuff....chuck