SmartMusic?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone here use SmartMusic? I've been looking for some really tough songs on there to challenge myself. Do you know of any tough Wind Ensemble pieces or Jazz Band pieces I could work on?

I was hoping it would have some cool John Mackey stuff like Turbine or Asphalt Cocktail. I think John Mackey is my favorite composer. I was hoping they would eventually put Russian Christmas on there as well but it doesn't look like it will happen.

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    MakeMusic, the company that produces SmartMusic is headquartered right in my backyard (not literally, but we're in the same city). Our high school gets to do all the real world beta testing and its great. We get new copies of betas fresh off the press with "BETA" marked over it... haha.

Anyways, I have not used SmartMusic to practice since 6th grade. Boy, it was really helpful back then.

However, our high school band director has tried to use SmartMusic in her band curriculum. To prepare for MusicForAll's National Honor Band Festival performance in Indianapolis, we were required to submit recordings of several sections of our parts to her, for pieces like Dance of the Jesters where internal beat was a big problem for our band.

Sorry, I don't actually have answers to your questions... Haha... But are you looking for music with on-screen music? or just accompaniments?

There are quite difficult pieces with just accompaniments.

3. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I've just been working on sight reading on-screen music. I recently found To Tame The Perilous Skies and have been working on that, and I think it has helped my endurance a little. I was just wondering if that was the hardest song in the library. I heard it was only a grade 5 piece, but it's the hardest song I've ever seen from an endurance standpoint.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    First off, forget about the grade level difficulty -- such labeling is all subjective and I've seen grade 4 pieces which were more difficult in my opinion than some grade 5 pieces. You should simply be looking at a wide variety of works to be playing, from easy so that you can focus more on tone and intonation ranging up to technically difficult so you can work on tonguing and valve issues.

There are some amazing Gordon Goodwin charts in the big band library which might not look too hard on first glance, until you realize the number of ledger lines in the 1st part!

Some of the pieces included in the Solos for the Trumpet Player collection are quite demanding when taken up to speed.