Smashing Bells

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpetmasta, Sep 9, 2012.

1. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    First dent always hurts the worst. Quick trip to the repair shop and by all means DON'T TELL MR HIGH AND MIGHTY BLAH BLAH BLAH. Make an excuse for it being in the shop for some other reason if you have to. No need to suffer his D-baggery. Feel your pain. Just put the first dent in my pristine flugelhorn this weekend. I do have a friend who has done some fantastic repair work on bells (he worked on aircraft/with sheet metal in the Air Force-took a huge crinkle out of the bell of a vintage Conn 2B to where you can't even feel the damage). I'll just tear up a little when I show him. Caution--this only works when you're a girl and the guy is resonably fond of you. Chin up, your secret's safe with us!

2. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    well that's good any good places you know of in Raleigh, NC?

3. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Your director should know of places, ask him first.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did they have to dish out some serious French Bread to pay for the repair! Ummmm.... with powder sugar... lots of powder sugar!!!

5. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    so how much would it usually cost to have a ding repaired?

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Depending on size and how much time is required to fix. I have paid from Zero for a tiny ding to $200 for a badly crushed Mellophonium bell.

Regards, Stuart.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The excellent tech I use at Hauer Music in Dayton, charges between $15-30 depending on whether it's a ding or a dong.

8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Depends on the shop. Michigan prices may not be the same as N. Carolina prices. When I...ah...acquired my Martin Committee, it was in pretty bad shape with major damage all the way up the bell, a weld partially broken, frozen tuning slide and tasted absolutely vile. $50 and a couple days in the shop solved all of his problems other than the finish is finished. Yours shouldn't break the bank or be gone long.

9. Trumpetmasta

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    took it to shop today. The guy said it would be around 50 or 75 dollars for the repair. We also decided to get it chemically cleaned, it hasn't been cleaned in around a decade. Thanks all for the stories and help! :lol: