Smell of brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jun 8, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    If you strip a trumpet is there anything you can apply to stop your hands smelling of brass (not lacquer or gloves)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Washing hands with soap and water usually works.

3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    cheeky

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup. Some people use carnauba wax on raw brass to help slow the patina, but I don't know how long it would last on the valve casings or what kind of smell it would put on your hands. I just consider my green, smelly hands a badge of honor, and it is a fun way to gross violists out.

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Maybe. Maybe not. Hot water and soap does work wonders. As hot as you can stand it!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I tried several things. The best so far is Skin-So-Soft from Avon. It's basically a scented mineral oil.
    It really slows down and evens out the tarnishing.

7. wfrayer46

wfrayer46 New Friend

May 16, 2013
    Lorain, OH
    Now, that's funny! Violists beware!

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Be careful. Exposure to brass causes the dreaded N+1 disease for which there is no apparent cure. Often results in periods of isolation from ones wife and kids, and drains the wallet.

I had beautiful Olds Super which played fine but was in raw brass (the one in my avatar)- finally sold it. Could look at it wrong and it would start tarnishing. Used several car waxes (the polymer stuff like Nu Finish) and it helped somewhat. I'd try several coats. Sure wish there was a way to spray some type of clear sealer on it. Music store lacquering was more than I wanted to put into it.

Other than lacquering, I don't think there is any method that really works extremely well.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Steve must be right!

I had Kanstul re-lacquer my raw brass horns last year. I haven't purchased a new horn since. Maybe I'm cured? :-)

Mike

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are referring to putting this directly on the horn, not the hands, right?