Smickity Smack Licks and [email protected] Hits

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Taking a cue from Clarence, what he's done is come up with the best way of describing that almost euphoric feeling from playing something in "the zone". That fantastic feeling of "Nothing could go wrong, cosmic vibe, I love this job!" thing.

What's one experience that you could point to in your career, grade school to veteran status that left you with that stupid "I love the trumpet" grin on your face?

In 49 years I've been blessed with a few of those, thank G-d but the one that sticks in my head is my last performance of Gotterdammerung in Seattle. It was the last show I would ever play in that town before I moved here and emotions were running high for me.

It an SSL & BH night for me and I'll never forget it.

ML

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Yes Manny, those special times seem like almost magic . . . and you are soooo glad to be blessed to play the horn.

I've had several too . . . along with a couple of jobs that were real clinkers of course.

One night though was so special that I thought at the time, "If I never, ever played the trumpet again, tonight's job would satisfy me forever!"

I'd driven down to Florida to play a Christmas party gig at a yacht club with a Dixieland band I've been with for years. We're all in other groups and this band is a real stress bustin' good time for all of us . . . and I'm the "baby" at age 53!

Anyhow, the band sounded incredible. I've never heard everyone sooo in "sync!" When the gig ended the crowd wanted more and more, so one of the wealthy members hired us for a couple of extra hours longer . . . and the gig moved over to his huge, double-decker river yacht, moored on the St. Marks River.

Picture this . . . early December evening in Florida . . . temperature about 65 . . . with the fog dancing a foot or two off the top of the river . . . as we glided up the river, serenading astonished folks! The sound would wrap thickly around us, and also return to us after being deflected by the trees on each side of the river. Because of the fog, we had to keep all the lights off on the boat except for the navigation lights. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND SOUNDED INCREDIBLE!

We went "Christmas carolling - Dixieland-style" through the marina, stopping at yachts, houseboats, etc. We played our joyous Dixieland music too for surprised folks up and down the river . . . and even docked at a local honky tonk on the river and watched the crowd spill onto the club's dock to party to this surprise "happening!"

I doubt I'll ever do a gig again that is sooooo memorable!

Tom

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    smickity smack!

Thank u ML, I see were on the same page as well.
    Say maybe you know my best friend james zoller?

4. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    bright moments

bye the guy,s it almost seems during those moment,s everything during your solo,s seems to be on auto-matic piolet! and your just there watching the valves float! sound strange?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Clarence,

I have a lousy memory for names but I never forget a face so maybe I know James. Where might he and I have met?

As to the other... yup... it's like somebody's playing you.

You just have to let go and breathe...

ML

6. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    he,s based in newyork.

7. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    The closest I've come to that is last year's audtion for All-State.

I came out of my audition smiling for the first time ever. I really felt like I did the best I could do! (Sadly, I didn't get recalled...and I bawled my eyes out.)

As soon as I came out the door, this guy (who also plays trumpet) tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Wow, you're going to make it! That was amazing!"

It was great fun. I'll never forget that feeling of "Yes! I didn't screw up! I did it!" It was a turning point in my life.

Then, when I heard "Pictures at an Exhibition" for the first time...I about died because of the trumpet part. Wow. That is an awesome piece!

Lara

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    My father was the best trumpet player I knew. He played with everybody locally, and with Harry James for a while. He put me in with all the local legends here in Detroit. Guys you wouldn't know, but guys like Chuck Peterson, (He did the "Well Git It" duel with Ziggy Elman in the Dorsey band) Johnny Trudell, an internatioanlly know trumpeter, Dr. Leonard B. Smith, formal principal trumpet of the DSO and founder and leader of the Detroit Concert Band, Ernie Skuta (the Woody Herman Band) Joe Vitale, who pl;ayed drums on the WXYZ radio show "The Lone Ranger" and on and on. He was like Jonah Jones, he could play any song in any key and take ride after ride, melodically and never leave the chord. We played in many concert bands together, he was always the solo cornet 1st chair, and I alway sat next to him. Everybody knew him and liked him. And I did everything I could to please him. I play as well as I do today to please my dad. The day he told me at one of the semi pro concert bands to sit in the first chair from now on I nearly died. ME sit in front of HIM???? no way. I finally did though. He went through a bad spell with his health. Congestive heart failure. He died the week he could not play any more. I played a gig that weekend after he died with the quartet. I played the first set with tears in my eyes, and down my cheeks. It wasn't worth it. Then in the second set someone made a joke. Afterwards a guy came up to me and said "Aren't you Chuck Willard's kid?" and someone else said "No Chuck Willard is THIS GUYS father." All at once it came to me that he and I will always share our music and that I HAVE to play because I AM Chuck Willard's kid. I had the best night in a long time and I love playing even more now. He taught me to love it more than I knew.

-cw-

9. Clarence

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Now that,s what i call channeling! :D

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Re: smickity smack!

I know James. He played with Mercer Ellington's band when they did "Queenie Pie" and "Harlem" with the Brooklyn Philharmonic. Jimmy Cheatham introduced us years before that.
    Wilmer