Smiling while playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Roshoka, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Roshoka

Roshoka New Friend

Jun 30, 2013
    Everyone I've listened to says to not smile while you play, but I'm wondering what is so bad about it. Does it really have any adverse short-term or long-term effects? Why do teachers say it is wrong to smile while you play?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Common thought is that the smile embouchure stretches the lips rather than compressing the lips. Easier to bruise with the smile, and a "thinner" sound. That said, there are plenty of good trumpeters that look like they are smiling when they play.

3. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    This. I also used to have this exact kind of embouchure whenever I played high or anything taxing, and it naturally went away as I practiced these exercises more and my chops got stronger. So it might be an indicator of weakness for some players.

4. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Animal behaviorists have observed that smiling can be a way of signaling submission.
    (...not sure if that applies to the species Trumpeter Sapiens.) </insert smiley face here>

Juarez-MA likes this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Submission and trumpet playing are mutually exclusive events.

I smile a lot when I finish playing, 'cause it makes me happy to play my horn.:D

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So to the OP, I cannot judge if smiling while playing is a good or bad thing for you, but smiling after you finish playing and taking the horn away from your face, THAT'S a good thing.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Among primates smiling is a sign of threat and aggression. Beware of the smiling conductor....

8. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    This is an invitation to injury.

9. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    back in the early 80's -- they taught the smile embouchure in my public school system. The smile embouchure in my opinion (will work) and will get everything the public school needs you to achieve in less than 8 years of music --- I do believe it limits range, flexibility, and endurance --- as it restricts bloodflow to your lips when they are stretched -------------------------------- that being said, I switched to More of a pucker embouchure in my senior year (1983) - and have never looked back and smiled!!!! -- but like GM, I now smile when I finish playing my trumpet!!!!