Smokin' brass players!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Nov 7, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I did it for 20 years, so did most of the guys I played with. We even had the ashtrays that clipped onto your stand. It was a different world back then.

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ya, the smoking part is a bit distressing, then I got distracted by the Whipped Cream album cover. I have/had that record and to this day it is one of the most suggestive photos that I know. Smokers amaze me by how they overcome the physical demand the have on them, and yet still acomplish great things. Makes me wonder how much it takes away from their talent. I couldnt imagine blowing that stink into my horn. Best wishes.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think it give them a darker sound... kinda like soot.

5. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Welcome to Planet Earth. Snake Plissken

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    When I saw the title of this tread, I thought dorkdog meant smokin'. Instead, he meant "smoking".

It looks like a lot of the tobacco shots were staged, with most of the guys doing a "Bill Clinton" (ie, not inhaling).

Nice video. I have fond memories of Herb Alpert growing up.

Mike

7. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I am going to play "Lollipops and Roses" in my practice session tonight. It will be fun and I have it on a play-along (Big Jazz Standards Collection).

Janell

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Miles was smoker. I talked to one of those older trumpet players, he said playing the trumpet was an antidote because he blew all the ash out through the horn.... ewww. I would worship those clubs like Birdland, except they are all probably ash trays. I once saw a pair of guys stand in front of smoking harmonica player and blow smoke into is face while he was soloing, it was pretty hilarious really.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Our band plays regularly at Gilly's, a well known jazz club, voted Best in Ohio by Ohio Magazine that has been around for YEARS started by Jerry Gillotti. Jerry has had Wynton's entire family, Wayne Shorter... every big named artist through his club over decades and they play to packed houses.

Several years before Ohio went smoke free, Jerry who NEVER smoked a day in his life, had open heart surgery. The surgeon told Jerry on his recovery that his lungs were covered with soot when they opened him up. After he recovered and went back to his club, he made in smoke free immediately. Thank you Jerry.

It should not have to come to that situation were one persons' habits impact on the health of others.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Unfortunately most clubs are backwards holes in the walls. The college town I attended went smoke free, and the hip clubs just paid the tickets, or allowed the patrons to pay the tickets, mean while promoting that they would keep a smoker friendly environment, which all but drove out the non smoking patrons.