Smoking downsides to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young guy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Young guy

Young guy New Friend

Dec 8, 2012
    Knoxville TN
    I've recently started smoking tobacco, is it harmful to my embouchure as well as my lungs? Tips for how to quit? I know it's bad, but will smoking occasionally still do harm?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Thank You, Captain Obvious!
    I smoked from age 14 to 30. Did it affect my playing? F*ck, yah!! I'm 50 now and have a helluva lot more energy and wind than at 28, so yes. STOP IT NOW!!!

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Tips on how to quit: sheer willpower. Toss what you have and never buy another pack. Glorified quitting methods just don't work.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You ask an important question. Let me be a bit preachy for a moment.

- There are at least one dozen types of cancer where smoking is a primary risk factor. This includes cancer of the lung, pancreas, kidney, bladder, mouth, throat, and others.

- Smoking is also a primary risk factor for many vascular problems, including heart attacks, stroke, and impotence.

- But if you're lucky enough (or possibly unlucky enough) to avoid all of the above, then you are left with COPD. This is a disease that leads to the destruction of the air sacks in your lungs. You are ironically left with the ability to inhale, but a growing inability to exhale. It is a very unpleasant way to die.

If you can't quick on your own, ask your doctor for help.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Yes, it's harmful to every single aspect of your being, but especially to your heart, mouth and lungs. You will almost certainly get some damage to the small blood vessels that supply your embouchure muscles, and you will lose some embouchure control. Hopefully you won't get cancer first...

Stop buying or otherwise obtaining smokes and stop hanging out with others when they're smoking, at least for a while. There really isn't any secret to it, you just do something else when the impulse to smoke hits. I first took up sunflower seeds for a couple months, then started really focusing on the trumpet.

Yes it will, and there really is no such thing as smoking occasionally. Almost every person who would "smoke occasionally" eventually ended up struggling to quit, some people never able to..

Think about this: everyone who smokes starts out by "smoking occasionally". Everyone. Then people either:

1. Decide to quit before it becomes a problem,

2. Decide to quit after it's been a problem, with much difficulty, and struggle with the cravings for a very long time,

or

3. Die

Sounds like you're still on number 1. above, so there is a great deal of hope for you! But, you need to stop now because it will only become more difficult in the future. I don't say any of this to judge you as I smoked for more than half my life, but to hopefully warn you out of a lifetime of regret, heartache, disease, etc. etc. etc.

Plus, if any of that's not bad enough, think of all that nasty crap you're blowing into your horn!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm 77 this year, the victim of excessive smoking in earlier years and now suffer almost all viz COPD, PAD with claudication in my legs, have undergone surgery for anuerisms, left femoral and AAA, and a triple heart bypass and now monthly spend more for medications and supplemental medical insurance than I spent for cigarettes and that's after Medicare coverage.

Were I to now attempt to walk a mile, I would be concerned about calling 911 on my cell phone for an ambulance, and thats not funny when memories of running track and 5 and 10K runs still abound. Sold all my sports paraphrenalia as such is useless to me now and so went such enjoyment. I wouldn't even go so far as to say my mentality has been unaffected as certainly my concentation seems diminished.

Still, I persist in playing the brass ... not that I'm near as good as I was, or as good as I could have been, albeit there have been other issues contributing to this and yet I amaze my pulmonologist as I now practice his prescribed regimens daily as much as I do my horns if not more. Yeah, I now often go about with a cannula in my nostrils providing me supplemental oxygen from tanks and sleep with the cannula with O2 provided from a concentrator.

So in my pockets in addition to my P.E.T.E., a mouthpiece and David O'Neill Buzzzmaster is my Pro Air HFA emergency inhaler and a packet with a 325 mg aspirin. Oh yes, I've handicapped placards for our vehicles and ride the ADA electric carts in stores. You now can understand that life for me is just not as pleasant as is could have been had I not smoked.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Additionally I have bad osteo-arthritis, atrial fibrillation and I deal with my wife's leukemia.
    But smoking is the one thing I don't miss. One does not realise exactly how filthy and disgusting a habit it is until one has ceased it.
    I have a number of band mates who indulge in cigars, rationalising their habit by claiming it's only an occasional pleasure.
    Well, whatever. I don't sit in judgement of anyone, I just accept or reject. I'm far too aware of my own inadequacies in that regard to pass judgement upon others. But smoking????? Yechhhh!!!!!!

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am having some considerable trouble believing that this poster isn't pulling our collective leg. But in case not, the key word here is recently.

If you just started it will never be easier to STOP than it is right now. Just do it.

BTW, the biggest worry for your embouchure is that NO ONE WILL WANT TO KISS YOU!!

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Double post.

10. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    What age did you start? I'm a lifelong non-smoker who understands that the main thing needed to play any wind instrument is wind and smoking will only compromise it.