Smoking downsides to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young guy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Bingo! You win the Cigar! ( sez he with tongue in cheek).
    Nonetheless, it loses none of it's collective message even so.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Great words from Ed Lee on the side of what happens when you smoke. Take his advice, he's sharing a lot of great advice here. Now listen to someone who never smoked, not trying to be an "I told you so", but to give you my perspective.
    I always have enough breath, as long as I remember to do it properly!
    I am told I'm in better shape than people 10, 15 years younger than myself.
    I am told I don't at all look my age, which is 61.
    I do work that may be considered appropriate for a younger person.

Just wanted to show the (possible) benefits of never smoking.
    Not the least of all, God has blessed me with good health!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I started smoking in the fourth grade (grew up in North Carolina), stopped briefly in high school to play sports, then continued from my Senior year until I was fifty. Smoking becomes a habit. It's something that intrudes into every part of your life. In my case, it contributed to hardening and narrowing of my arteries, causing the need for a double bypass. I stopped then.... if I ever need another bypass, I want it to be MANY years later. The good news is that the last time my lungs were x-rayed I was told that they now looked normal, with no evidence that I had ever smoked. I got away.
    If, indeed, your post is legit, there is NO REASON to start and EVERY reason to stop. None of my health issues or those mentioned previously are things that we would have chosen for ourselves. Tobacco contributed to all of them. Throw your cigarettes away. Now. It will never get any easier.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This is not meant as a criticism of Ed, but no one ties us up and makes us smoke tobacco. It is most certainly a choice, and considering the vast data which has been accumulated which proves that smoking tobacco will hurt you, it a a BAD choice.

Many of us began smoking when "everybody" did it, before it was proven to harm your health. We didn't know that what we thought was benign was actually lethal. We also didn't know that once the choice was made, the choice to quit became an exponentially more difficult one due to the extremely addictive nature of nicotine.

But now we DO know, and that is why I say, if you're new to smoking, STOP NOW. Every day you continue it will become more difficult to give it up.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes. Initially to the lungs, then death follows which is also not usuallly good for the embouchure (Kingtrumpet the exception)

See your doctor... see him/her now... if you RECENTLY started, perhaps you have more of a chance to stop before the adiction takes over your life.

It will ALWAYS do harm. People worry about death from cancer... they are the lucky ones. Most get COPD, it is a terrible disease to have as it is slow, progressive, and robs you of your vigor... and it will absolutely decrease your trumpet playing potential. Then there is heart disease, an early MI is not an occasional harm!

I know of what I say, as I am a physician of which my patients that smoke are in the most unhealthy of the patients that I care for.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    An X-ray tells us little about lung disease related to tobacco use. Ask your physician to run pulmonary testing on you. That will best reflect the damage of past use. It is said however, that the ill effects of smoking begin to reverse after 10 years of quitting.

7. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    How about, instead of wasting your money away on tobacco, use that money to buy a new horn! :D
    I suppose you could contract the N+1 virus, but it's worth a shot. And IMHO is a much better use of your money.
    You'll be so preoccupied playing the new thing that you'll just naturally stop smoking. :)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, Daja vu all over again... What he says... I posted before I read this from Mike... Again 2 out of 2 TM doctors agree.... The fact we use the same discussion without reading it in advance should give the OP some perspective as to the credibility of what we preach.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, what else can I do but quote the timeless wisdom of that Oriental sage, Confucius, who said. " Many men smoke, but a Fu men Chu."

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If you re-read myfirst posting, I stated that I had undergone a double bypass. Pulmonary testing is done on a regular basis.... an EKG every year at my annual physical. So, I am having everything monitored, which is how I discovered the need for the bypass. I caught it before any events. It has indeed been 12 years since I smoked my last cigarette. This X-ray was about 8-10 years after I stopped smoking.