Smoking downsides to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young guy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've an option for any one who now smokes but it also entails an aide that would feed you, wash you and wipe your a** as if you were a baby. That option is a pair of hand cuffs. Uh huh, I'm ex-law enforcement for those that already didn't know.

Well, that may seem extreme, but consider this if you continue smoking ... you may require that aide to do these tasks as you lay abed in pain and cannot do these yourself ... and this with all the intervention that doctors could do ... they are not God.

2. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Which essentially tells us that smoking( and Smoko!) are bad habits.
    We all make our own choices. Some people let circumstances rather than planned action guide their lives.
    My Grandfather, who essentially raised me, was fond of saying" you want sympathy? I'll tell you where to find it. In the dictionary between syphilis and sh*t".

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Eat potatoes ... they're sprayed with a spray that contains nicotine to kill the potato bug. Kills grubs on your lawn also. Will kill you too. Ask your veternarian or animal control about nicotine darts.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Interesting article by Vulgano. And Conntribution's article has to go into the "what were they thinking" category. :-)

Just to clarify, nicotine makes tobacco addictive. But the medical problems are caused by other ingredients.

Mike

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    That's what my Docs told me too. Related to breathing, it is a tar build-up in the lungs and in that concern he told me he treated more asphalt pavers and roofers than he did smokers. Of course, here in my area of NC "white lung" from cotton is a BIG problem. With ginning still ongoing here in Jackson (nearing the end), many walk the streets wearing filter masks.

Of course, NC now bans smoking in all restaurants and Northampton County just passed regulations that ban smoking on all county properties, owned or leased and in or on all county vehicles. Nationwide it is becoming much more difficult to find a hotel/motel room that allows smoking, and even many companies now refuse to hire anyone who smokes and/or ban smoking on their premises ... and to think when I was very young smoking was allowed in movie theatres also ... and I know one that burned down in my PA hometown caused by such, not to dismiss how many homes have had the same consequences.

7. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    My mother and my aunt are (were) twins. My aunt started smoking when she was about 18, my mother never touched a cigarette in her life. At the age of 25, my mother looked like 20, and my aunt like 30. At the age of 35, my mother look like 30 and my aunt passed away. She had a severe stroke and looked like 50 at that moment, I was there when it happened, and she left two young children and a father behind. She had several diseases and medical problems, my mother had none.

Please don't smoke, it will kill you. We still have a void in our family, which will never go away.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, maybe we can we throw these dart thingys at Kingtrumpet? Tell me more!

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Just quit. Simply put. But... YOU have to want to quit. I must have tried a hundred times to quit. I started smoking at age 8 or so by stealing the butts out of my father's ashtray- I was playing "grownups". But got addicted quickly. I tried many times during my teen years to quit, unsuccessfully. I did not really want to. When I got to college, I made a goal for myself: I told myself "this is my last pack. When it's done, so am I". It got to the point where I literally could not wait to quit. I also had some very supportive roommates who stapled the empty pack to the wall and bought me mints. I have not had one puff since- that was 1985. No patch, no nicotine gum, no e-cigs, no weaning off. Cold turkey. By the way: that's how Miles quit heroin, too. If I can, and if he can, so can you. You'll feel better in the space of a week. Promise. And- you'll save about $10 a day. That's some serious coin when you add it up.