Smoking downsides to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young guy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    What he said worked perfectly for me!

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Hmm. Haven't heard anything from the OP, but it would seem to me that the overwhelming concensus is "Smoking bad".

3. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    Great comments Ed...

I want to take Ed Lee's story one more step though....

My 1946 Martin Committee came to me from a pack a day smoker...more precisely, it came to me through his estate. It was the last horn he had held onto before the lung cancer got him.

It took Dan Oberloh a stout mechanical and chem clean to get the last of the smell of the cigarette smoke out of the horn ...and that was after I had a go at it with stuff I had ...and I'm a PhD organic chemist so I know a thing or two about the chemical constituents of tobacco smoke. I threw away the original Martin case the horn came in after leaving it in direct sunshine that fades the brown of my cabin to tan for a week ...and still could not burn out the smell.

I smoked for one week as a senior in high school and promptly quit thinking this is stupid. I'm old enough now to collect Social Security and still mountain climb and teach cross country skiing in winter. So when it comes to filling up my (.468) Artist Bore King Liberty with air...no problem...What comes out the other end occasionally still sucks unfortunately.:oops:...but I plan to be around long enough to get better.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, what an amazing testimonial by both Ed and Randall. To turn it around in a positive direction... I learned have how to smoke on my Martin Committee... and I plan on doing this more and more until the last breathe that I blow.

5. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    ...WOW!!...Maybe I'll be able to take up smoking again too now.......

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't you dare! Too, I sold all my climbing gear and cross country skis and now wouldn't be able to rescue you. I'm not sure which I liked more, the outside or the inside of a mountain. Yes, I was once upon a time heavily into speleology (spelunkin') as well. When you've once bought the best equipment, it makes you cry to see it go at 5-10 cents on the dollar. Now I've a good day when I last 5 minutes on the ellipsoid with PAD and claudication in my legs.

When you know GMONADY's playing jazz as I do, he's not smoking, but he makes his Olds, Getzen, Martin, and Kanstul sizzle and smoke.

Need I say that aneurisms and heart surgery are not as enjoyable as the view from the top.

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    BinaryHulledIon
    Tips on how to quit: sheer willpower. Toss what you have and never buy another pack. Glorified quitting methods just don't work.
    I smoked and I was on a rugby team. I stopped smoking and started playing rugby.
    Got it ? Get it!!!!

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Smoking is so bad, it's hard to think of a place to start to describe exactly how bad. Actually, the ill effects on playing wind instruments are a good place to start now that I think of it...

9. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    OMG! do people actually START smoking these days??? STOP STOP STOP NOW!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, they do! Many at the same age as when they could begin to learn to play the trumpet in public schools, and that is reality! Too, they start drinking alcohol and using narcotics, and doing really weird stuff. All I might say is parents and authorities cannot stop it. What is the consequence of expelling a student from a tobacco free academic campus for smoking ? S/he then roams the streets consequently joining a gang, being introduced to narcotics and firearms, if female to prostitution etc. etc. and then is arrested and jailed ... unlikely then to ever be gainfully employed, and the cycle starts over again and again. Yeah, they passed laws and put up signs everywhere but there's no money in the budget for enforcement or any form of detention. Nana, nana, nana, do it again I've heard so many times.