Smoking trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catfish, May 4, 2008.

1. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Hello everyone. I tried to find a more appropriate area for my question but there didn't seem to be one so I guess this is the right place.

I have been playing Trumpet for 2 years now and I have recently given up smoking.

Trouble is my trumpet stinks of cigarette smoke and it is driving me up the wall :bash:. I have already pulled the poor fellow apart and given it a bath, but I can still taste nicotine (it seems to be more noticeable in the bore).

Has anyone else been through this and does anyone have any suggestions.

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    The bath could include vinegar or baking soda or a tablespoon of Lysol liquid concentrate.
    Or I would think that pouring full-strength ammonia down the tubing and then proceeding with a scrub with the tube brush followed by a regular soap bath and rinse should do the trick, since ammonia will dissolve stuff like built-up wax.
    Or (*my favorite*) you could spray a large amount of WD-40 down the tubing, since WD-40 will dissolve deposits while also lubricating and water-proofiing the inside of the tubing against red rot.

If such at-home remedies don't work because the nicotine film inside the trumpet won't dissolve, any repair shop could give it one of those typical chemical baths that remove deposits from inside trumpets.

Edit:
    I forgot to add a warning.
    Some players have accidently removed the lacquer from their trumpets by using water that is too warm / too hot, or by allowing their trumpets to soak in warm water over-night.
    I think that usually is just a problem with vintage trumpets that use the older type of lacquer, but it might also happen to some newer trumpets?

- Morris

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks screamingmorris, I will give this a try.

I have indeed removed the lacquer from my trumpet by bathing it in water which was too hot. It is a newer trumpet, but a little on the cheap side.

I plan to buy another one, but I won't be able to afford it until the end of the year.

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    If the lacquer is already gone and not in danger of being affected, have you tried pouring bleach inside the trumpet's tubing?
    You would need to wash the trumpet well with soap and water afterward to get the bleach residue out.

- Morris

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    It may not be the trumpet.
    You need to get a mouthpiece brush and clean the back bore.
    Use dish washing liquid and hot water and run the brush in and out until it is shining in the bore.

Some of the advice given above is corrosive to brass. Take your trumpet to an instrument repair shop and ask them to clean it. They may use an ultrasonic cleaner and they know what not to do that will ruin your horn.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  6. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Don't give it up... quit for good!!

God bless!

7. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks .. It is an awful habit and i have been trying to kick it for years.

I do think it is the bore that is the problem. I will try to clean this first before trying any of the other suggestions.

8. Etjoeflo

Etjoeflo New Friend

Feb 8, 2008
    I'm a former submariner so after each deployment my clothes would smell horrible from the nasty chemicals that they put in the air. The best thing to get rid of the smell was vinegar and the other thing that other guys told me about was Sprite (as in the soda). Not sure as to what the side effect would be with the sprite but apparently its good at getting rid of bad smells.

Another approach...use Zaja Valve oil. One of the guys I played with recently used some and his trumpet always smelled really good!!

9. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Etjoeflo, stop smelling his trumpet. It could cause talk among the woodwinds.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.