Smoking trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catfish, May 4, 2008.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

If you can't afford a good cleaning by a instrument repair shop, you might try in this order.

1. Run Vinegar and water through trumpet.

2. Bathe trumpet in Arm & Baking soda.

3. Bathe trumpet in mild diswashing detergent with a fragrance you like.

4. Take your horn outside on a sunny day and let the sunshine do its work on the trumpet while you do your chores, read a book, or relax.

Glad you quit smoking, it will add longevity to your life. Can you imagine the tobacco smoke you smell in/on your trumpet used to smell that way on your clothes, your hair, home, furnishings and the interior of your car? You've come a long way! Wishing you much success in being tobacco free. It may be tough, but it's worth it.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    It could also be the case. Every time you put the horn back into the case, the cigarette smoke from the case fabric transfers to the trumpet.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I bought my third son a tuba on ebay. It was also played by a smoker and he was 13 at the time. I did NOT want him to "get used to" nicotine anywhere. I got it out with hot water and lemon dishwashing liquid and some good bore brushes. I don't like the idea of ANYTHING poisonous in the bore of the trumpet. If I thought valve oil would creep up the bore, I would find something else. Elbow grease has been the #1 solution that has withstood the test of time. It worked on that tuba

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Catfish-

Just take it into the shop and get it professionally cleaned. You're going to save so much money by giving up smoking (smokes and insurance now, medical bills down the road) that it won't be a big deal.

-Jimi

PS. I find cigarette smoke disgusting, but one of my old teachers smoked a pipe and the smell was actually rather pleasant. We always joked about him putting out a scratch 'n sniff method book....

5. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Remember, smoke leaves a lot of tar or resins. Once you have cleaned the horn well, use alcohol. It will help cut or thin the tars. A tight fitting cloth pulled, not pushed thru the horn will help remove tar. Soak your cloth in alcohol. It must fit tight but not get stuck. Careful.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Pretty good advice above. Watch out for corrosives.

Try this. Hold the horn bell straight up. Put our mouth over the lead tube where the mouthpiece goes. Have someone pour vodka into the bell. Work the valves. Small amounts are best until the smoke taste goes away. Ethanol is corrosive to a lot of metals. Dry out the horn after you have consumed the entire bottle of vodka.

Children, don't try this at home. Your parents will miss their vodka. Wait until you are in college.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Catfish,
    My tenor horn tasted 'orrible when purchased on eBay and so, (considering that your lacquer has already gone to God), might I suggest soaking overnight (or longer) on a bath to which an ounce of Vanilla Essence has been added - then rinse well. The Vanilla is inert, I think, and it absorbs the nasty smells. It is also excellent, placed neat in saucer, in a room that has recently been painted - virtually overnight the paint smell will go without leaving a replacement odour. Perhaps your favourite perfume sprayed into your trumpet case, after the vanilla trick there too, might be worth a try - and you get a little perfumed buzz everytime you use your horn. I've never actually tried the perfume bit, 'cause the lads would look at me strangely - careful you don't stain the fabric with the perfume though.

Another thought might be to place a couple of drops of vanilla essence on a cotton ball and leave it in you trumpet case wrapped loosley in a small plastic bag, to stop staining but left open so that the vanilla can do its work.

You know, of course, that reformed smokers are much more sensitive to these sorts of odours, because they have forgotten how to "taste" the air, and that capacity comes back with a vengence - welcome back to the "air sniffers" - are you having trouble with socks (sox) yet?

8. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Thanks heaps for all the advice … it is very much appreciated. I think reading all said I might steer clear of the ammonia (thanks OLDLOU). Morris what on earth is Red Rot?

VODKA!!!!!! You must be joking …. I can’t waste perfectly good vodka like that… hahhahaa. I will try that one as a last resort stchasking.

I will try the vinegar first .. I don’t have a bore brush, but I am sure I will find something. I will give the Vanilla Essence a go too .. thanks Ted… and no I am not having trouble with my socks yet.. my socks smell like roses thank you very much (I could say that my S* doesn’t stink too but that would be pushing it)

Not trumpet related I know, but I just can’t leave this one alone… we have a Politician in the land of OZ who is in a great deal of trouble for sniffing things he shouldn’t. Tearful Troy Buswell admits behaviour 'unacceptable' | PerthNow

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    In regards to cleaning the case. Maybe some Arm and Hammer apholstry cleaner sprayed in the case and vacuumed out with the crevice tool?
    I am thinking of the spray foam apholstry cleaners. There are several on the market.

10. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Catfish, I think the trumpet is the least of your worries. You should have a doctor take a look at that growth on your neck!
    JK, is that a wombat?