Smoking trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catfish, May 4, 2008.

1. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Red rot is corrosion that eats from the inside of tubing to the outside, showing up as reddish spots. Mosty on older horns' leadpipes and where moisture collects in tubing bends. There have been a number of threads on the subject here and on Trumpetherald, but I can't find them now. I'm sure others will chip in with better info. You don't want this condition in your horns!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Red Rot, sometimes caused by inattentive manufacturing processes where the manufacturer's staff have left the horn in the chemical pickling wash to long and the alloys begin to "bleach" out of the brass - it is I suppose, effectively brass corrosion - maybe Old Lou has an educated point of view on this? Why don't you start a new thread and ask this question seperately?

3. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Ok now I know what Red Rot is… Thanks … I am pleased to say I don’t have any of it on my trumpet.

:lol: Nooooo gglassmeyer that is not a wombat on my shoulder… Wombats are very large creatures that are so heavy and solid you could run your car over one and it would still get up and walk away… you can find more information about the little thing on my shoulder on my intro thread http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f148/hello-all-39537.html

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Because Australia is 4,000 miles *below* the United States, Australia is 4,000 miles closer to Hades.
    That creature on her shoulder is one of those creatures from Hades that frequently wander into Australia and bite the poor Australians on the neck.
    I am taking up a collection so that we can evacuate all people from Australia to the United States.
    Send your donations to me as soon as possible so that the life-saving evacuation can begin.

- Morris ;-)

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    yeah, sorry. I didn't recognize that little guy and had no idea what a wombat looked like so I took a guess. That Possum is a lot more attractive than the ones here in the US. Ours are really quite ugly.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Red rot is caused by the leaching away from the brass the zinc which is what makes brass stronger than pure copper, which is the other common element in the making of brass. This is caused chemically by over exposure to acids in the saliva and food stuffs blown down the length of the leaderpipe. Frequent cleaning of that pipe is the primary deterant. In years past, most trumpets and cornets were equipped by the maker with a slotted end cleaning rod for the purpose of swabing out that grunge in the pipe. Some makers have gone to various other alloys in the making of the pipe which are somewhat less prone to red rot. In my case, I use a pistol cleaning rod with a nylon bristle barrel cleaning brush to break up the grunge and follow that with a swab doing the above every month. Of course, I use a mild detergent and water to put the grunge into suspension.

OLDLOU>>

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Morris,

Unfortunately you are WRONG! Sorry, I'm shouting again.

Quote:
    Because Australia is 4,000 miles *below* the United States, Australia is 4,000 miles closer to Hades.
    Unquote.

Australia is not called Downunder for nothing - it's because it is JUST below heaven - like downstairs. Ask any Aussie, or any expatriate anybody else who has spent any time in Oz (Australia) and they will invariably tell you that Oz is as close to Heaven as you can get. Why do you think we have all those snakes, spiders, and jellyfish? They get such a bad wrap elsewhere in the world that they are granted immediate approval to line up outside the Gates of Heaven in anticipation - so they all line up just Downunder.

Trust me - it's true, just ask Catfish.

And to top it off we have trumpets and some very fine trumpeteers too - where do you think many of the trumpeteers in Heaven come from - yep, The Great Land of Oz (The Great Downunder), home of boxing Kangaroos and Drop Bears, (and some seriously odd trumpeteers).

8. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

'Thanks .. It is an awful habit and i have been trying to kick it for years.'

Hope all's well there Catfish. I tried about fiteen hundred times myself before it took. That's been nearly a decade ago. I can't take credit for it though; i just traded in one habit for another. I started lifting weights. :) You join a gym and begin to enjoy it.. you'll be cured for life. It took a few months for exercise and cardio-work to take hold of any kind of genuine pleasure and fun- but it will. I couldn't live without it.

Couldn't help but congratulate you on quitting. It's about the hardest thing in the world to do.

Chris

-

9. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    It's just as well.

Since no donations have poured in, I have to cancel the evacuation and just leave you there anyway. :D

- Morris

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cool--the newest mobbing trick!! Know of anything that will work on violas?