Smoking trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Catfish, May 4, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Catfish,
    A set of cleaning brushes (snake, valve casing, and mouthpiece) will, without doubt, be readilly available through the Australian Academy of Music at 153 Leichhardt St Spring Hill 4000, (07) 3831 0283. Be prepared for large rooms full of shiney instruments though.

I highly recommend that you spend $16-$25 and get yourself a cleaning kit - your trumpet will bless you for such a purchase (and regular use). You will be at astounded the grey "clag" that will comes out of your horn after soaking it overnight in a bath of lukewarm water with a little dishwashing liquid included (and maybe some vanilla essence) and then running your brushes through the tubing, casings, and mouthpiece - and the smoke taste will most likely dissipate. Your horn will also sound better after a clean.

See, I can be sensible - just don't expect it all the time.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Morris, I thought you might like this.....

An American decided to write a book about famous churches around the world. So he bought a plane ticket and took a trip to Orlando , thinking that he would start by working his way across the USA from South to North.

On his first day he was inside a church taking photographs when he
    noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read '$10,000 per call'.

The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God.
    The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Atlanta . There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Orlando and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God.

'O.K., thank you,' said the American .

He then travelled all across America, Europe, England, Japan, New
    Zealand. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same '$US10,000 per call' sign under it.

The American, decided to travel to Australia to see if Australians had the same phone. He arrived at Ballina, in Australia and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read '40 cents per call.'

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign.
    'Father, I've travelled all over the world and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven, but in all of them price was $10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?'

The priest smiled and answered, 'You're in Australia now, son - it's a local call'.

The Defence Rests.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  3. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    So God looked at Adam and said, "Crikey, you need a Sheila!"? :D

- Morris

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Too right, Mate!

5. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Opossums are from South America … which is why they are ugly  Possums are from Australia About Possums
    Click here and you will see a Wombat Unique Australian Animals Trust me when I tell you , you don’t want to mess around with one… They can be very cranky creatures.

Thanks Chris, :-( but I am not entirely there yet… I still sneak them in with a glass of wine. Although I have done well to come as far as I have .. It has to stop entirely because I am also studying opera and my teacher always knows when I sneak a few in…. Oh dear my favorite past time was (well still is) a couple of glasses of wine some cigarettes all while playing my trumpet. I am finding it so hard…..

:lol:How’s that collection going Morris….. If I didn’t know any better I would say that no one wants us there in the US…. Surely that can’t be true… we really are a nice bunch.

Thanks for that Ted… my mortgage repayments just went up again for the umthingkth time and I don’t have a lot of spare cash… I didn’t go looking for a cleaning kit because I thought it would be too expensive. But the price you quoted is very reasonable… I will check it out and pick one up tomorrow. And I do know where the Australian Academy of Music is you Burk :D … But I don’t go there often because of all the shiny instruments …. ***I want this and I want that … and I will have one of those ….and Oh just let me play with that for a while…..and while I am here I will just look at that baby grand ****

I do wash my trumpet and have made do with pipe cleaners and what ever else I can get my hands on (I bet there is a reason I shouldn’t use those )… I won’t tell you some of the things I have done … like shove cotton wool in to the piping etc … and yes I know I shouldn’t do any of this… My teacher told me not to use washing liquid … It didn’t make sense to me, because I didn’t think there could be anything in washing liquid that could hurt my trumpet.. I did try washing liquid some time ago just to get all the gunk out , but I think the water was too hot and this is when most of the lacquer came of my trumpet… I am assuming that the hot water caused this rather than the washing liquid..

It is true… it is a very beautiful place…
    I haven’t even got to introduce people to Drop Bears yet.. They would have to be one of our most unique animals … But of course it is not really a Bear at all… It is another marsupial .. Bears of course are mammals.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    There have been many threads about instrument cleaning methods here and on TH and using washing liquid in warm water is recommended, with the appropriate material cleaning brush or swab. I have also used lime removers such as CLR and The Works, to soak "new" old horns that I get, in the tub, which gets out a lot of crud. Pistons are put in a separate glass with water and the CLR, up to the base of the stem. There are many threads about stripping lacquer also, and using VERY HOT or BOILING Water is one of the methods, so that is the likely cause of the situation you had. Over the years there have been different formulations of lacquer used, so some removal methods work better than others.

I have used applications of oven cleaner (well venilated area) to strip the bad lacquer off my Besson and the Czech horn, then removing the residue with a copper cleaner, and polishing with brass polish. I love the raw brass look. The Besson has a deeper gold glow than the other one. Occaisionly polishing is not a chore to me.:-)

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is good advice - but I'm never a fan of harsh chemicals.

Good soapy solution in a plastic box with a lid, from the $2 Shop, is better than the bath. Rinse really well after brushing, do the mouthpiece too, before pouring boiling water over the mouthpiece - not the trumpet though. Watch it, the mouthpiece remains really hot for a long time.

Don't immerse the valves such that any of the felts get wet - that spoils the alignment until the felts dry out, and rots the felts.

By the way, does the trumpet have a different timbre now that the lacquer has been "stripped".

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That's a good idea about the plastic box. I have only "chem cleaned" my old horns once and was careful about following procedures and I wouldn't recommend for use often, either. I do sense a different timbre of the stripped horns, but your ears play tricks on you and once you get used to the sound of the horn, you may forget earlier impressions, like many audio sources.
    I think the Besson's sound is warmer and mellower, it certainly is more then my other horns.
    The Czech trumpet is new to me and I am getting used to it's qualities. Has the characteristics of a small bore , more resistance and really projects up higher, more than my other ones, sort of a laser beam paint peeler, I guess and is easier to play above high G, yet can have a pretty warmer tone lower down, if not over blown.
    What's unusual to me is that a standard MP fits into the receiver 1/2" less that standard now, so it looks kind of strange. Some old Steur MP was included and fit the same way. Cornet MP is a bit small, so I am using a little tape adaptor to see how that works and tunes. Kind of reminds me of a Gretsch Long cornet I used to have.

I've never tried boiling water on the MP's yet. Lots of good suggestions here in this thread.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just another couple of thoughts - if you are going to polish your horns, wash them first, then polish - particularly the silver ones because a polishing cloth leaves a protective coating of sorts and the "polish" job lasts longer. If you are really concerned about "bright and shiney" - practice in cheap cotton gloves - hands stay warmer, trumpet stays shiney, it's hard to turn the music score pages though. To overcome the score problem, I have scanned the scores onto the laptop, and practice straight from there - seems to work OK, and you get used to turning the pages with one button, or you can use the two screen function and have two pages displayed at once.

10. Catfish

Catfish New Friend

May 4, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    I thought I would let everyone know how I got on.. Well I purchased a decent trumpet cleaning brush and a mouth piece brush and went to work.

I am sorry to say that the vinegar did not work... It got everything clean though, but didn't get rid of the taste.

The person in the music shop plays trombone and suggested I get some decent mouth wash and carefully clean the trumpet out with it.. and it seems to have done the trick... My trumpet is now minty fresh....

Now I just have to keep off the smokes...