Smoking while playing trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi All,

browsing the Hub Van Laar website today I was surprised to see this for sale:

SALE accessoires » K&M Ash tray » Van Laar Trumpets & Flugelhorns

It sets me wondering how acceptable is it these days to smoke while playing (well, not at the precise time, but during rests, or between songs), when there might be non-smokers in the section or band/orchestra/ensemble?

I don't think that would be terribly good for the trumpet either.

--bumblebee

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    My thought process: it won't help you, so why start it? If you already do it, it doesn't help you or those around you, so stop it.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ultimately we are what we continuously do. It may not be "acceptable" to smoke on stage, but I do know a lot of smokin trumpeters that really smoke. None of their talent or proficiency is nicotine based, but quitting will affect their playing and has to be very carefully considered. The potential emotional ballast also cannot be ignored.

4. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I am always taken aback when I encounter smokers. "Anybody is still smoking ?" is the first thought that hits my head.

It is becoming pretty rare, here in the states, at least compared to my youth, when it was taken as a given. I guess I was the oddball non-smoker.

35 years or so ago, I remember overhearing a conversation between two leads along the lines of "Hey, you know I'm feeling the high notes coming really easy and strong lately." followed by "You know why ? We've been on tour and haven't bought any more of these (holds up cigarette) in about a week !"

5. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Here in Australia people don't usually smoke in offices any more (not 100% sure about bars or music venues - I think there are some that still allow it) and so it's usual for smokers to go outside, generally away from the non-smokers, to smoke. Attaching an ash-tray to the music stand seems to be anchoring the smoking to the stage/practice room, and that's what I wonder at - that there's a market for such an ash-tray, compared to a separate one on the floor, or a floor-standing one, if you must smoke where you play, and that does not really provide an option to take the ash-tray with you if you want to get away from the non-smokers etc.

I started this thread because of the ash-tray -- I do see there have been a number of TM discussions about smoking before:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/playing-smoking-77964.html
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f136/smoking-66492.html
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f136/smoking-19873.html
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/smoking-trumpet-39538.html

--bumblebee

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Maybe the ashtray is on sale because there is not much demand any more. I've heard that smoking is a dying habit (insert self-righteous glow of a long time quitter) :-)

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Certainly smoking is on the wane, our orchestra of 65+ members has only one smoker and she is a doctor's wife. I gave it away 40 years ago and have some of the long term effects.

Ed could tell us more of the long term effects.

Regards, Stuart.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wonder if there is a demand for these in some countries. Concerning Rowuks comment ... there is a big push against e-cigs by antismoking groups which I personally feel is ashame. After smoking for ( cough cough) years I transitioned to the e-cig for a couple of years .. . and I while it is not something I can prove scientifically, I could feel my lungs clear out .. first month murder ... that being said finally kicked the nicotine habit... and then got fat ( 25 pounds to me seemed fat). Anyway my point is that I was able to maintain some sort of sanity through the process. I am not sure I would want to stand next to a lead trumpet player going through nicotine withdrawals.

9. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    True there might be -- maybe in Austria, for example.
    WHO | World Health Organization (Tobacco use atlas)

They are not uncommon in Australia now, and some commentators have being trying to work out if they're for them, or against them. The benefits of inhaling a vapour instead of smoke seems to be recognised, but some recent pulp-news shows have suggested the lack of regulation means consumers don't know quite what they're inhaling. My sister in law is much happier now her house doesn't smell so much since her husband switched to e-cigs.
    The government is probably not happy because until the product is controlled and taxed to the hilt it would prefer that people smoked tobacco.

No, I suppose. But the active smoker who hasn't yet quit can move away for a smoko[SUP]*[/SUP] if non-smokers (or another player going through withdrawals) are nearby. Or the band leader might only hire smokers as a counter-intuitive policy.

I'm glad your lungs are clearer. Imagine running a marathon if they weren't!

--bumblebee

[SUP]*[/SUP] Smoko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I had to go out into the street for a ciggie and a think after reading this, and had one of those Road to Damascus moments. I realised that my lifelong antipathy toward personal gun ownership was quite, quite unjustified,

coolerdave likes this.