Smoking while playing trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Whoah! That sounds a bit ominous, Seth! It also reminds me of a quote from "Bored Of The Rings", where the Bilbo-like character meets the Gollum-like character and spares his life:

"He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel..."

(Bored of the Rings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

--bumblebee

And it is interesting you have no antipathy towards hanging commas,

2. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    If they're not concerned about the effects on their heart and lungs how much do you imagine they're worried about the horn?

3. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Addiction/habit can be a very hard thing to control. The affected person may know well enough the effect their habit has (be it smoking, or sugar, or alcohol, or whatever) on their health (or their wallet, etc), but they may still moderate the activity in question to be mindful of other people. For example, many smokers step outdoors to smoke away from others.
    The horn is probably their own, so it may get about the same level of care as their person, loosely speaking.
    The only point I was trying to draw attention to there was the amount of particulates which would still be on the smoker's breath when they've just had a drag or two (smoking at their music stand just as they're in the middle of playing, worst case being exhaling smoke right into the horn) compared to fewer particulates which they'd have if it had been a few more minutes between the smoko outside and their return to playing.

--bumblebee

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There comes a point, Bumblebee, when despite all our higher aspirations, our wishes to accommodate the full range of human diversity, and desire live together in peaceful harmony, some morons out there simply jump on this freedom as an opportunity to persecute any group they take a dislike to: smokers; people of a particular hue; Rowuks, and defend their poisonous opinions on the grounds of their right to free speech.

I'm sorry, but if someone wishes to ban both a condition (smoking) and a relatively harmless cure for the condition (e-cigarettes) then their motives are quite clearly exposed as not for the common interest, but to satiate their own personal malice and feelings of inadequacy. There is no point in attempting to reason with such people, since they will rebuff any such dialogue as an attack on their exercising of their 'alienable human rights' or some such flannel. Under such circumstances, there is no rational response but to say nothing and quietly fix bayonets. Or perhaps I've lived too long in a society where there are few safety nets for the stupid, and fail to see that freedom can be had without individual responsibility.

Sorry about that. Are we limited to lethal injection for commas these days? :-)

5. sigsoup

sigsoup New Friend

Nov 30, 2014
    ***slowly raises hand and stands***
    hi my name is sigsoup and I smoke
    ****face palms himself and slowly sits down with a single tear that trikles down his cheek***
    ***lights fade, curtain closes***

6. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    So, do you want one of those ash-trays? I am sure there must be a convenient way of packing it up with the music stand when you're finished playing.

--bumblebee

7. sigsoup

sigsoup New Friend

Nov 30, 2014
    Sounds like a great way to set my car on fire in the early mornings...

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You know, there's really a whole lot that can or should be said about this topic, but, really the answer is simply . . . no.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    E cigs are to cigarettes what alcopops are to alcohol - a tastier version with generally more lax regulation. I personally see no reason to respectively have other laws. In any case, it will NEVER IMPROVE ones playing either way.

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I would only hope the reason they're on sale is because of declining demand.

When I lived in San Diego, 25 years ago, and played in several of the retiree rehearsal bands (in one, I was less than half the age of the next-youngest member), smoking during the break was fairly prevalent. In the Padre Gold American Legion rehearsal band the second trumpet player chain-smoked the entire time, lighting each new cigarette off the butt of the last one. He held the butt between the second and third fingers of his right hand, which didn't at all impair his fingering facility while playing tasty solos. And yes, he'd take a drag off the cigarette and immediately start to play, and a bit later smoke would emerge from the bell. I didn't like thinking about what the inside of his horn might look like.

A week ago I played a gig with a trumpet player who used to play with trumpeter Jackie Coon, and was told a pertinent story. Supposedly Jackie brought his trumpet and flugelhorn to every gig in two separate beat-up old hard cases. Jackie would leave his flugel case off to the side, but set his trumpet case beside his seat. On top of the trumpet case would go his drink, his cigarettes, and his ash tray. Jackie bought a Reunion Blues triple from the guy I know, but the next gig he showed up with his two hard cases. Sure enough, the RB bag wasn't rigid enough to serve as a table for Jackie's drink and ash tray!