Snakes good or bad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I have one of those cheap cleaner snakes. Seems like it'd be way too abrasive for the tubing, but I haven't seen any alternatives. Thoughts?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    clean is always better. Just be careful around the valves.

The brushes are not harder than brass but the snake is steel and could damage a valve port if used with brute force.

If it was my money, I would buy a snake that has a plastic covering.

3. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Try HW Brass Saver brushes - no metal to worry about - the line attached to the "snake" brush is durable plastic. I've used them for years with great results. While you can find them via several retailers, here is a link to the product at Trent Austin's shop: HW Brass saver for Trumpet - Austin Custom Brass Web Store

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    There's a nice little plastic tape snake that comes with the service kits provided by Ultra Pure - oil, slide grease x 2, snake and some other stuff - oh polishing cloth, valve and mouthpiece brushes - the full kit for all your trumpetting needs. All that's missing is a trumpet and a box of confidence which is BFE.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, plastic is better in my opinion. I too have always wondered about the metal ones, of which I have several. Seems like too much exposed metal and too few brushes.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

Over the years, I've collected a few of those metal snakes, some with plastic coating. But I just don't trust them, and worry about scratches.

I also use the H.W. Brass Saver brushes. They are all plastic, and pretty much can reach anywhere a snake can, and then some. This, plus a plastic-coated mouthpiece brush and a leadpipe swab, are all I need to clean my horns.

Mike

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use both( HW brassaver and generic plastic coated snake) on my horns. The plastic coated snake gets used in the leadpipe only. I get good back and forth motion to be sure it's all clean. the HW brassaver gets used everywhere else. The casing brush with the HW kit is very good also.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011