So how cool was my HS concert band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by entrancing1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I was going through some boxes of old stuff,

[​IMG]

Yes, that is Bill Chase's signature

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Pretty neat! Those were the days. We had Stan Kenton in a few times, including a clinic, and ferguson once. Bet none of us understood really how special we were being treated. never saw Chase. Wish I had been there.

3. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    We had a clinic with Mangione, I don't remember what we did with Chase. Chuck was impressed, we had eight French horns and most of us were pretty good :cool:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    All our stage band ever had in was a couple local Pros/teachers. Jack Halkides( sax), and Bob Hill( trumpet). Never had anybody in with the Concert band:roll::oops::cool:

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    entrancing1 wrote:
    Well...cooler than mine, as I remember (graduated 43 years ago!) Fun interesting post, entrancing1!
    Jim

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    We had Buddy Rich (with Lin Biviano) and Maynard's band in 1970 and 72. At that time Lin Biviano was using lots of mouthpiece pressure and had a big flap of skin hanging off his lip after the concert. Kind of scary. This was in North Syracuse, NY.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well... at my high school... we got to bring soda into the band room! Every day! That's just about all the excitement we got... OK, maybe not as cool as your experience... but when you come from a town named Mt. Healthy... you take what you can get.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My high school band was pretty uninspired. However, we did take a field trip (those of us that wanted to) to our director's alma mater to hear Doc Severinsen play in the afternoon and again at halftime at Wake Forest University. Think it was 1968 or so, so he was at the height of his abilities. Inspiring, but I don't remember any "clinic"

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Played a concert in college with Cat Anderson. We doubled the lead yet he drowned us out an octave and more above while dancing amidst the notes. None of us felt inadequate afterwards, just amazed. The Conn guy with him told us if we wanted to play like Cat we needed a Conn.

Yeah, right.

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In HS, I'm with Doc, we got to bring pretty much any junk food we wanted, but also. The other Band directors were local pro trumpet players and the standard itself to be in the horn line was set pretty high. It was fun all the same.